Kashmir Fund Raiser - Film Screening , Portland

MtnHigh

*****Moderators, please move this post over to the Events section. Thanks*****

Wednesday Feb 8th

6:30pm

Hollywood Theatre

Tickets are $10

Hollywood Theatre

Earthquake village is a benefit program to fund the reconstruction of Kashmir following the October 2005 earthquake. The event will show a number of films. A documentary on Kashmir called Crossing The Lines, plus selections from the 2005 Mountain Film festivals including Beth Rodden climbing "The Optimist" and Tommy Caldwell climbing "Spank the Monkey" at Smith Rock.

Following the films a raffle will be held thanks to the generous sponsors.

For complete details go to:

Cascade Mountain Films

Tickets are available at Climb Max (now on Broadway next to The Mountain Shop) or on-line at TicketWeb

TicketWeb

Edited by MtnHigh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

i was talking to a non-climber after the show, who was asking me if The Optimist (the beth & tommy show) was a spoof or not.

lay-person stranger: "so . . .you go out and try to climb the same piece of rock over and over for 6 weeks until you get up???"

lame-ass climber (yours truly): "er . . . well, 'ya see, those were PROFESSIONAL climbers, they really don't have much else to do but climb, see."

lady "so, that's what REAL climbers do, then?"

me (not wanting at all to start the trad ethic vs. stick-clip argument that's currently raging in my head) "well, i guess if you want to climb something that ridiculously hard it takes a lot of practice"

lady "Well, if they're professionals, why does she need to practice for 6 WEEKS just to climb that one run?!?!?!"

me (eyes darting around for some back-up, starting to feel a little uncomfortable) "duhhhhhhh . . . ya see, the moves are very technical, and you need to . . um . . .conserve energy . . and . . ."

perturbed lady "well, it sure as hell doesn't look like any fun to me!"

me (finally able to agree) "no, you sure won't ever find me spending a month an a half working a proj like that"

lady "you people are WHACKO!!! What's wrong with you?!?!?"

me "yeah - thanks. have a nice night."

Now, to be fair, i'm sure she could talk circles around me regarding the situation in Kashmir, but why must she ask me what was wrong with me?! I was trying my best to help her understand . . . confused.gif