colchuck lake area avy conditions

tbh

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is one supposed to forecast avalanche conditions for a specific area and for a specific time of year? It could be anywhere from completely safe to loaded and dangerous. Check out the forecasts (which are currently for either considerable or high most places) and if it looks like it you are willing to give it a shot, go up there and dig a pit and evaluate it for yourself. There is really no other way to know.

yeah i guess i should have phrased this differently. what i wanted to know is if these routes have considerable avalache danger. ie the top of the couloir ends in an open avalanch slope that will usually send avalanches down the couloir. or the glacier has an alternate way to travel to stay off avalanche slopes. for example you can take a certain way to camp muir to avoid avalanch slopes in winter.

thanks

tom

As stated, there really isn't a way to avoid avalanche slopes above Colchuck Lake and there has been an awful lot of new snow coupled with high winds lately. If you want low-hazard conditions, wait until the weather settles -- or wait until it rains to 8500 feet -- and then wait a few more days.