Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Lowell Skoog's website:

Northwest Skier, 1970

Jan 16, 1970, p. 29: "Mansfield, Tom, "Yodelin Opens" *

Yodelin ski area opened on December 27, 1969, with a 1,800-foot double chairlift, a rope tow, and a three-story Tyrolian-styled lodge. Nason Properties, owned by W.C. "Wendy" Carlson and his wife, operates the ski area and lodge and handles the sale and development of the Yodelin village. A total of 184 homesite lots are available and several all-season recreational homes have been constructed. Future plans call for a condominium ("Lichtenberg Haus"), a cable car on nearly Lichtenberg Mountain, and four chairlifts on Barrier Ridge. The 3-1-70 issue (p.1) includes more information about Yodelin, plus three pictures.

I would imagine a glacier tool would be more than sufficient for that scramble. Granted, I haven't actually climbed that mountain, so take that with a large grain of salt. It actually looks like good whippet territory. Pulling the bottom of the pole off and using the whippet as a ghetto-axe is rather effective in my experience. I hardly ever take an axe while ski touring any more since I have those things.

I have climbed it with just a mountain axe, but a whippet should be just fine. Given current snow conditions a basketless whippet should be great. If not one person climbs it first and tosses the axe down for the other. It is only a short little section where it is steep.

OUTLOOK TO SUNDAY

Snow showers should end Sunday morning near and west of the crest with potential cloud breaks. More extensive breaks or sunny weather is likely east of the crest. Temperatures and snow levels should remain fairly low. This should cause further slight consolidating, refreezing stabilizing of recent snow layers.

NWAC

I might want to come out of retirement and go skiing with you guys. With its variety of aspects, there is bound to be something worth skiing on Lichtenberg.

Does anybody know how much snow there is at lower elevations over there? One of my favorite Highway 2 tours - Nason Ridge - starts kind of low.

I have climbed it with just a mountain axe, but a whippet should be just fine. Given current snow conditions a basketless whippet should be great. If not one person climbs it first and tosses the axe down for the other. It is only a short little section where it is steep.

what is a "whippet"? is it just a basketless ski pole?

Above 4,000 feet it was pretty good, with about three to four feet of new storm snow overlying the older though under the trees it was a tree-bombed mess below maybe 4,500 feet. Higher, in the open, there was lots of wind-effect with evidence of loading from multiple directions. There had been fairly extensive slide/slough action previous to this last storm cycle. A hasty pit revealed no great variation in the newer snow, generally lighter toward the top. Ski testing revealed an overall stable snowpack though the wind-loading up high was worriesome. Damn near powder skiing, though a little heavy.