Rangers Lie

mattp

Plus, the poor guys have to deal with everyone from Joe shmo touron/wannabe mountaineer to real climbers. They have to assume that everyone doesn't know there head from their ass so they don't assist in getting some idiot killed.

So don't be offended when they tell you that conditions suck, and you are going to die!

Bottom line is, figure it out for yourself.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say they are just really lazy. It takes less energy to just lie. Then they don't have to find out the truth. Or expose their own lack of knowledge or inability to comprehend the knowledge. Next, if Homer Simpson isn't lost they don't have to work.

Lazy, lieing, bastards.

What this comes down to is that anyone with experience knows you outright ignore anything and everything thing they say. In fact I don't even ask much any more. Then they wonder why we don't listen to them.

I think Lambone is on the right track. Their primary responsibility is safety. Given the kinds of people whom we all see out there if I was in their job I'd overstate the dangers, too.

Sure, some rangers are jerks, just like some cops, and some baristas, are jerks.

I doubt that people become NPS rangers beause they want to sit on the butts, and they SURE don't do it for the money.

There was a report of a woman who hiked up halfdome (?) last year and called on her cell phone for a helicopter rescue because she was tired, and threatened to sue the ranger because they refused to send one. I'm sure any NPS ranger could tell you stories like that that they witnessed until you got tired of listening.

I think we all got pretty worked up reading Pencil Pusher's story about Judd. I'm guessing folks like Juddd are a regular occurance for MRNP rangers. Imagine having to deal with Judds a couple of times a week, all summer.

I must reply. I think you are all right. In the U.S.A. they don't want you climbing, I allways hear how your gonna die from them.

Thats not what I asked them, if they do not know, fine tell me that, but don't give me a line of shit.

I like the guys up north,( canada) they have allways just given me the facts, no bullshit. Paul

While rangers may tell a fib or two, the police officers in the town of Sultan are even more worthless. If anyone gets pulled over by Officier Moffit prepare to go up against numerous lies in court. Watch your speed in the shitty town of Sultan.

Sultan police? Nothing more than a bunch of shady tax collectors.

Rangers are cool!

September a few years ago five of us kicked a fine,fine line up the Emmons.

At about 13,000 we notice two others following our track.After spending a few moments on the summit we notice the two others chillin just below the top.We wander down to say hello and they thank us for the track and invite us in to the Schurman hut for some wine moments later they are running down the mountain.

After sharing two bottles from the winery we figured being dusk and all we'd better mosey.Thanks again guys for enhancing our experience.

009 -

I believe you're right that the rangers at Mt. Rainier are getting cooler all the time, and I should say that as far as I can tell, Mr. Gautier is largely responsible for this. Right on Mike! But there still seems to be an institutional bias against climbing.

Two years ago, I went to sign out for the Tacoma Glacier and the ranger at Longmire told me that the creek at the end of the road was running at flood level and that I "could not" go. I had been up there to scope out the creek about an hour before, and I had seen that there was a lot of muddy water running over the bank but it was no more than knee deep, so I asked him: "is there some kind of Federal regulation or something?" He hemmed and hawed and didn't answer my question. I tried to pin him down, but he wouldn't tell me if he had heard that the creek was impassible or what exactly was the basis for his proclamation.

Prior posts have indicated that you get a lot less of this kind of B.S. in Canada, and that has been my experience. If you ever go to the Lake Louise ranger station, ask for a guy named Geoff - instead of telling you that you will die, he will actually encourage you to go out and have a good time.