5500+ pack

ditchdigger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a McHale monster pack I'd gladly part with. It is NOT light weight, but it IS probably the toughest and biggest pack on the market, and it carrys a huge load more efficiently than any pack I've ever known. If you plan on carrying climbing gear and two weeks' food into some place for a basecamp, it'd be your tool of choice.

I've had a Serratus 7000+ pack that has performed admirably for years for winter/summer use. Just bought an Arc'teryx Bora from MEC and am extremely pleased with engineering and features. A bit on the pricy side but well worth it. Check out the following site and then link to "Packs": http://www.mec.ca/. Note that if you are on a budget or are not interested in the Arc'teryx line the MEC packs struck me as pretty good value for money when I was checking them out a few months back.

MEC is sort of a canuck's version of REI. Hard to vouch for the quality of MEC brand packs these days since I don't currently own one. I can say I've been buying gear/clothing/sleeping bags etc from them for years and have been consistently pleased with my purchases, particularly their warranty/customer service.

5500+? That's huge.

Are you going to use it alot? If you are, honestly, I'd recommend giving McHale a call and getting a custom pack made. It won't cost that much more than buying something off the rack, and you'll be much much happier I'm willing to bet.

I have been thinking about making such a pack, but they're so damn big, i'm not sure how many people would be interested in buying them.

5500+? That's huge.

Are you going to use it alot? If you are, honestly, I'd recommend giving McHale a call and getting a custom pack made. It won't cost that much more than buying something off the rack, and you'll be much much happier I'm willing to bet.

I have been thinking about making such a pack, but they're so damn big, i'm not sure how many people would be interested in buying them.

FYI - McHales will cost you quite a bit more than buying a production pack. Especially once you get carried away with the options.

I've had some Gregory packs that carried like a Cadillac - heavy and comfy. I've demo'ed the Dana Astralplane. It was very nice as well. That was all before I realized you can climb for more than a week in a 3500 in3 pack.

don't carry a pack that large very often anymore but every once in a while I have to dust off the Lowe Contour IV I've had for close to 15 years. I've had really good luck with it. Carrys well, not too much xtra crap hangng off it, pretty straight forward, decent cost. I'm sure it's change thru the years, todays version could be a lot different.

5500 plus pack? Dude are you checking that at the plane as luggage? If so get a duffle, if you are actually carrying it to your climbing camp a huge distance from your car(MEANING FURTHER THAN 10 MILES) I say borrow if you're only going to use it once. If you're going to use it a bunch get something that fits you right and has some type of mesh back panel, prefferably on the shoulder straps and waist belt too so that you don't get too wet from your own sweat.

My favorite company lately for those types of packs is Jack Wolfskin. Unfortunately I've only seen them in Germany, they are pricey, and of usually don't offer much in the way of torso adjustment. Try on some packs, remember that you get what you pay for. If you do the online ordering thing make sure that you have someone do your measurements for you.

I keep a Gregory Shasta for the one or two times a year I end up carrying that kind of load. It doesn't have the bells and whistles, but is rugged and carries (at least for me) very well. You can usually find past year models online for about 50% off list.

Let me know if you are interested and we can make a deal. These are great packs; I just don't use it because I have two other packs that are both smaller but large enough for me.

McHale packs have the shoulder straps fixed, so this will fit someone roughly 5.11.

534327-pack1s.jpg

534327-pack1s.thumb.jpg.c26c46ef30c838867f7df9eca7123d57.jpg

You can see this has zipper access to the bottom of the sack; it also has straps on the top lid to convert to a fanny pack, and it has "bayonet" frame stays, meaning the upward extensions of the frame above neck level can be removed so that you have better ability to tilt your head back, or added to support a higher load.

The waste belt is the most comfortable I"ve ever carried even though it is not some super padded ergonomic affair like so many packmakers seem to feel is necessary.

534331-Pack2s.jpg

I can even throw in the side pockets that came with it.

534331-Pack2s.thumb.jpg.0f0f387bc91fb59c59d0845a64781b4d.jpg

If its for a course and its part of the 'recommended equipment', i'd look into the following: university rec clubs you might be able to rent from, buying a second hand pack, or finding something on super saver deal.

As many here know, I make packs. I personally use a bozeman vintage astralplane ok for one of my big bags, the other is my prototype for my company in that size. The astralplane weighs about 9 pounds. The thing about packs that size is that you have to use stronger fabric, frame materials and then the weight balloons--especially for tall people.

If you were going to use the pack a lot, I think the $600 you'd pay for a McHale would be well worth it in comparison to the $350 - 400 that you'll spend buying one off the rack, from gregory, osprey or whomever.

The real thing is going to be how it fits you and how it feels when you sweat.

YMMV, good luck.

Let me know if you are interested and we can make a deal. These are great packs; I just don't use it because I have two other packs that are both smaller but large enough for me.

McHale packs have the shoulder straps fixed, so this will fit someone roughly 5.11.

Tempting I am 6.2, so I don't know if it will fit well. I borrowed a buddies Terraplane, for the weekend. Load it it and see how welll it does. Thanks for all the replies, helped me out alot

Don't be swayed by others opinions that you will be able to get away with a 3500 cubic inch pack. You won't for your 6 day. It will fill up quick with 6 days of food, 4 season camping gear, clothes to withstand any weather and so on. The 5500 will fill up real quick and still have stuff hanging outside.

It is unfortunate that you don't have a store nearby to help cause fit is a very important thing. Some just don't fit. If you have the time, I would call feathered freinds or mountain gear and talk to someone there. Ask if they have a policy to let you return a pack that doesn't fit and you can load it up at home and return if it feels wrong. Problem is it may feel ok at home but not after 10 miles of trail. Also a pack loaded up will feel wrong even of right. Who like 60 lbs?

Consider renting your pack from the guide service or other local climbing store. Ask if they will put the rental fee towards a purchase of a new pack from them.

good luck.

An Osprey Aether 90 served me well during my 6-day mountaineering course on Mt Baker last year. Coincidentally, both guides had Osprey Aether backpacks, older and slighter smaller (Aether 70s?).

You may have been advised to bring a summit pack as well since you will no doubt be summitting a major peak at some point during your course. I chose to not use a summit pack - the compression straps on my large Osprey pack worked well enough at compressing my relatively empty summit-day load while maintaining a good fit and balance.

Have a Jansport in like new shape for ya for like $100 and will deliver anywhere in the seattle area. It doesn't fit unless you have a long body or are at least 6ft tall. It's the endeavor 8000 model with the likeness of Ed Vistuers on it.. what he heck. It's damn big and light. I think it's like 4lbs. Check out RMI for more information. That is where I purchased it last spring.

Most of the packs listed are too heavy, though McHale can make you a pack that is both big and relatively light.

Granite Gear makes really well designed packs that carry well. Here is the url for a 5500 cubic inch Granite Gear pack built to lug weight. The pack weighs 6 pounds, which is not too bad: http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/standard/index.shtml

While it is true that a 3500 cubic inch pack may be too small to carry both a weeks backpacking supplies plus a lot of climbing gear, especially if your course is asking you to carry two pairs of fleece garments for every part of your body, it is also true that you can go for a week with a small pack if you carry less stuff, and if you carry less stuff you will climb better and faster, so you will need less stuff . . .

Another problem is that any two packs advertised to carry 5500 cubic inches are likely to be no where near the same size when you go to pack them. The pack companies all measure their packs in differrent ways, and some designs just hold more stuff, they pack easier.

The only way to pick a pack is to take all the stuff you're going to need down to the store and pack it into the pack you are considering to see if it all fits inside, then wear the pack and walk around the store for an hour or so to see if it is comfortable.

You might as well buy a used pack. As soon as you buy a pack you will see three more that you would rather have . . .

smirk.gif