Ice tools for little hands

dryad

Just went ice climbing for a couple days for the first time and I may be hooked. Looking for recommendations for some tools for someone with really small girlie hands. This would be for waterfall ice in New England, not glaciers, not any general slogging. I was using Aztars and they were pretty comfy to hold, but I think I might want something more curvy than that. Also considering leashless.

Similarly, I'm also looking for crampon recommendation for little girlie feet, although that may be less of an issue. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, both of those have good small grips. If you're not wanting to drop huge coin on new tools, some older tools with small grips are: simond "naja", and Grivel light machines. Light machines are very similar to quarks in curve, headweight and swing IMO.

If you're buying new WI crampons, maybe the Petzl Darts. Light, solid mono...

If you can find a first generation set of CFBP's, they molded the grip into the carbon fiber (later models just used the same size shaft and put rubber on it for the grip to simply construction). I have a set I like to use (even though I have good size mitts) and that I loan to women I climb with. They are fantastic tools and you should be able to find them with a reasonable $$ if you search hard.

Grivel makes some tools with skinny handles. Try to find mitts that are warm without being bulky in the palms. Find your little bitty boots before fitting crampons to them.
Try the Petzl Aztar. They do have smaller grips and are lighter too.

Aztar

Doh, sorry I didn't reread your original post. More curve than Aztars? How about Vipers?

Vipers

Edited by catbirdseat