Phoenix Area Climbing?

rbwen

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pit (for sport) and The Overlook (for trad) near Flagstaff are two good day trips from Phoenix, I used to drive it from Tempe. I'd recomend the Pit for more in the sun climbing during winter, it's limestone like Jacks and has moderate to super hard routes. Plus it's right by Priest Draw with some super cool bouldering.

• 2 weeks later...
How about Camelback Mt.? I just found out we're staying right near there. Anything worthwhile?

rbwen

I believe there are routes on Camelback mountain, however, the rock is really not that inspiring. I would recommend Pinnancle Peak on the north end of town. For not too far of a drive you get Joshua Tree-like granite with some pretty nice formations.

How about Camelback Mt.? I just found out we're staying right near there. Anything worthwhile?

rbwen

Aw, it's not that bad. Take a 60m rope. If you have a limited amount of time, it works, it's close and in the city. Try the Monk. There's some 5.8's bolted. The top is nice to hang out on. For a local crag, it does the job. Beware though, it gets a bit crowded and the tourists flock to the area to "climb" to the top of Camelback. You can get some bouldering too. Pick up Phoenix Rock (title?). Otherwise, the McDowells are really nice and you have the Pinnacles on the other side of town. smile.gif

The monk @ Camelback is worth the trip, good view, fun route and rapell. Other routes exist, but it's pretty sketchy rock. There is some OK bouldering there also. The last time I was a Beardsley it was questionable. Dirty, lots of glass, fences blocking stuff, but it was a while ago. Not recomended if you looking for a positive experience.

• 1 month later...

What about Sherman's new spot...Tam O'Shanter? Anyone been there? The quartzite looks pretty bomber and fun. It is mostly a sport area. C.H. gave me a copy of the guide which I have looked through, but have not been there. The routes go from 5.4 to 5.13+. There are 89 routes listed as of last August. It's 20 miles S.E. of Oak Flats. I don't know if the guide is available online or not. There is no website listed in it. John Sherman would be the guy to get in touch with.