grammar

Gary_Yngve

They would complain about the USPS but they aren't stupid enough to mail something 2 days before Christmas and expect it to get there on time.

Funny Jon, but 2 days was 5 days, and the worker told me that Priority Mail would get there on time. And as promised, I haven't whined in the past week, and you won't see another whine from me.

quit crying about it then... cry.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's embarrassing that our country hasn't done more to help them.

What/who is our country? Federal, State, County governments? I tire of the attitude toward government that empowers with expectation of panaceic/utopian effect; dream on. If you're passionate about an issue, it's up to you to administrate an affect.

The following is a quote from a relative of a deceased miner.

"Three hours later he come back and said they wasn't."

Ignoring the context of the mining accident, isn't it embarrassing that in a country as rich and modern as ours, we can't get full-blooded Americans to demonstrate elementary-school-level understanding of verbs?

I wonder if there's some more evil underpinning, e.g. mining companies know that they need to exploit undereducated impoverished workers, so there's no incentive to promote education, economic growth, etc., in the area.

Sounds like this person could have used a grammar lesson from good ole W!! W is a "full-blooded American" and he " demonstrates an elementary-school-level understanding of verbs." He is the president so he has to be, like, really smart. thumbs_up.gif

I tire of the attitude toward government that empowers with expectation of panaceic/utopian effect; dream on. If you're passionate about an issue, it's up to you to administrate an affect.

Aguments about panaceic governments are a bit of a red herring when we spend billions on white elephant space missile programs; clearly that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Gary mit do well to chew on this article

edit: And it's a sad statement when people consider a screw a technological marvel to manufacture

So here's a tangent: was it appropriate for the journalist to use a direct quote? Or should the comment had been paraphrased?

I don't think journalistic ethics allow for paraphrasing, though if I'd been that journalist, I might have looked for another quote as the bad grammar distracts from the message.

Including that piece of grammar may have been part of the journalistic intent though.

"I think younger workers — first of all, younger workers have been promised benefits the government — promises that have been promised, benefits that we can't keep. That's just the way it is." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 4, 2005

Hey, is GW from Tallsmansville, too? wazzup.gif

It can be hard to know what's sacred around here.

But regardless, I admit that I am an asshole at times.

I agree. I was quite aware that what I was saying was edgy, but without anything provocative, Spray becomes dull. The intensity of the backlash did take me by surprise.

Grammar lesson #1:

There are two types of language usage

1. prescriptive

2. descriptive

The first type is the properly parsed, tensed, spelled, etc word. The second is how people speak.

Grammar lesson #2:

When using descriptive language, people follow the unwritten rules of their location. This is something like a dialect. You will notice that even though a group of miners may use "improper" grammar, you will also notice that they are consistent in their misusage. They are merely adhering to the rules of the spoken word in their part of the world.

Grammar lesson #3:

You cannot accurately gage one's intellect or education by the way they speak when in their own environment. For example, when I am home in Montana, I sound a hell of a lot different than when I am in Seattle. When I am in Denmark, I speak with a strong provincial accent. Basically, I sound like a country bumpkin wherever I go and feel like I am home. So ease up on these folks, okay?

So here's a tangent: was it appropriate for the journalist to use a direct quote? Or should the comment had been paraphrased?

I don't think journalistic ethics allow for paraphrasing...

Ah, yes, the Mistress of Talking Out Her Ass returns...

You can paraphrase in journalism but you can't put the altered words in quotes.

And gary, you're a stud for not whining.

You sure got a pretty mouth

And you have an ugly mind. That book gives me the creeps. Great grammar lessons in it though...

The humor is that I used that phrase in its historical connotation of comment on the speech of another... knowing there was a probability the more recent sexual connotation would be recognized. It was your ugly mind that chose to receive only the sexual implication.

I love this, you rule, thanks.