Places to stay: Banff/Canmore/Lake Louise???

Chad_A

Looking for meager accomodations; taking my first trip up there this week. I don't want to armwrestle the cockroaches for my food, but don't need great accomodations, either. Suggestions?

Also, suggestions for an area to spend time doing WI3-4s (maybe more 3s) in one area would be nice. I plan on picking up a guidebook. Winter Dance by JoJo?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you stay in a hostel for $27/night/person when you can stay in a hotel (Rocky Mtn Ski Lodge in Canmore for example) for $60/night?

Just get a hotel room. Cheaper (if you have 3+ people). Better (privacy, hot tubs, sauna, security for expensive gear). When I was there in late November/early December, the hotels were pretty deserted and the management was willing to haggle on the price. I don't think we ever paid more than $60/night.

Or you could camp. pitty.gifyellaf.gif

That said, the Rampart Creek Hostel at the foot of Mt. Wilson on the Icefields Parkway is really nice (has sauna) and you can't beat the commute to Lady Wilson's Cleavage, Polar Circus, Weeping Wall, etc. Keep in mind that American Alpine Club members get the ACC rate. thumbs_up.gif

Why would you stay in a hostel for $27/night/person when you can stay in a hotel (Rocky Mtn Ski Lodge in Canmore for example) for $60/night?

Just get a hotel room. Cheaper (if you have 3+ people). Better (privacy, hot tubs, sauna, security for expensive gear). When I was there in late November/early December, the hotels were pretty deserted and the management was willing to haggle on the price. I don't think we ever paid more than $60/night.

Or you could camp. pitty.gifyellaf.gif

That said, the Rampart Creek Hostel at the foot of Mt. Wilson on the Icefields Parkway is really nice (has sauna) and you can't beat the commute to Lady Wilson's Cleavage, Polar Circus, Weeping Wall, etc. Keep in mind that American Alpine Club members get the ACC rate. thumbs_up.gif

Camp? hellno3d.gif A hotel does sound better, though from what I know of the routes, I doubt I'll be getting on the Weeping Wall, or Polar Circus yelrotflmao.gif

As mentioned, the ACC clubhouse is a good bet in Canmore. A slightly more upscale option (but still a hostel) in Lake Louise is the Canadian Alpine Centre, but you'll probably need a reservation.

For areas with good concentrations of moderate ice, I'd recommend checking out the Junkyards in Canmore, King Creek in Kananaskis Country and Bow Falls up the parkway. Haffner Creek is also good if it isn't too busy. Skis are useful (possibly required) for getting to Bow Falls.

If you're feeling solid leading grade 4 towards the end of your trip, go to Field and do Guinness Gully.

The bow valley motel is 72 a night for 4 people outside the xmas season. And they have a hot tub. I pefer the canmore hotel if no band is playing that night, unless i feel like partying that night, its 40 a night. But it might be to much of a cockroach battle.

Evan thomas creek, moonlight, snowline, etc are all 3 or 4 but are also every popular. the highest concentration is probably up along the parkway, weeping wall, snivelling, shades of beaty, whimper wall, etc. but the ghost can be good to valley of the birds, this house of sky, weathering heights, sunshine

and Camping can be quite reasonable in winter up there as temps are often right around freezing in canmore.

The Drake Inn, Canmore

In the past it has been something like 50 a night canadian.

Stayed there 3 years in a row and plan on staying again this year.

Haffner creek is a good "cragging area" and I thing better than the junkyards...although more of a drive.

The Grotto for an easy WI 3, but with a really cool location.

If you like the adventure and have a good 4X4 (not just a wannabee sub) check out the Ghost River Valley and climb This house of Ski. Rambling WI 3, but lots of it. There is also Valley of the Birds that is a ton of fun.

Enjoy!

Alex is fond of the Akai in canmore. fairly cheap, clean and has a kitchenette. something like $55/night. I don't think you will have any problem finding rooms or beds in hostel now the holidays are over. Rampart hostel is good but pricy (around $27/night/person) but close to lots of great terrain.

some nice 3's and 4's around rampart and fairly avi free:

shades of beauty (4)

tangle falls (3, craggin style)

panther falls (4)

sniveling gulley (3)

weeping (4) you could do the lower pitches and then bail at the steep part

elliot left hand (4) such a cool route without lots of people

2 oclock falls (2 but still cool)

nothing but the breast (4 but lower bits were melted out as of last week)

balfour wall (various like cragging)

lots of good routes there with a "wilderness" feel. (if you can forget about the convienent highway right there) Such a cool place!

enjoy!

gene

Just got back from 7 days there and the prices most of you folks are qouting are low. I arrived Jan2 apparently low season, we stayed in dead man flats, and it was perfect for climbing in the ghost. 69$ for 3 people 3 beds and a kitchen

oh and we had absolutely no problem getting our rental vehicle to the bottom of this house of sky or below GBU. This house of sky in my opinion is not worth the drive. WE also had no problen in driving in to the south ghost

another option is to go one road off of the main strip in just about any of those podunk towns and knock on the doors of houses which have a "vacancy" sign in their yard. apparently, it is common practice for people to fix up their basement apts. to accomodate guest stay for extra cash in the winters. a few winters ago in field we decided to check it out: on the door was a sign that said something like 'come on in', and on the counter inside was a note detailing the routine, and that the owner was really busy and wouldn't be around -she was working on the honesty system! she had a dialed 2 bdrm basement apt. ready to go for us, complete with cable tv, a stereo, towels, some FOOD and the usual other crap that you get in a hotel like brochures and a guest book. we stayed for 2-3(?) nights before we ran into her -the waitress from a few nights back in lake louise...the price was the same as any other cheap option, we matched bowls like teenagers, and had our own house!

Edited by Crack

We stayed at the Bear Country Inn in Canmore this weekend; it's just east of the Rocky Mtn Ski Lodge on the opposite side of the road. $49 CAD/night for 2 people with free continental style breakfast (cereal, waffles, oj, coffee, toast, etc). nicer than the Akai. kind of close to the railroad tracks, but bearable...