Cool new shit I learned©

crazyjizzy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cool new shit I learned was that web site. Thanks. I'm gathering up the courage to try dovetails for a small entertainment center I'm gonna build; I got some chiesls for Xmas. First I have to finish my bouldering wall (holds were another Xmas gift) =)

i can't find the "0176" key confused.giftongue.gifwink.gif

Neither can I. And when you hold Alt and 0,1,7,and 6, you get nothing. Is there some secret key sequence I'm missing? Do I have to yell "Yummy toaster struddle" while pressing the keys? confused.gif

Well, I'm glad someone else asked this, because I was wondering the same thing (except for the "Yummy toaster struddle" part).

Here you go:

To use the codes:

Place your cursor in the location where you wish to insert a special character.

Activate the numeric key pad on the right of the keyboard by pressing Num Lock (upper right of keyboard). The Num Lock light on the keyboard will indicate that the numeric key pad is on.

NOTE: You must use the numeric key pad; if you use the number keys on the top of the keyboard, the characters will not appear. If you are on a laptop or computer without a separate numeric keypad one of the other methods is recommended.

While pressing down the ALT key, type the four-digit code on the numeric key pad at the right edge of the keyboard. The codes are "case sensitive." For instance, the code for lower-case á is ALT+0225, but capital Á is ALT+0193.

NOTE: If you have the International keyboard activated, you will only be able to input codes with the ALT key on the left side of the keyboard.

Release the ALT key. The character will appear when the ALT key is released.

NOTE: You must include the initial zero in the code. For example to insert á (0225) you must type ALT+0225, NOT ALT+225.

The cool new shit I learned was that web site. Thanks. I'm gathering up the courage to try dovetails for a small entertainment center I'm gonna build; I got some chiesls for Xmas. First I have to finish my bouldering wall (holds were another Xmas gift) =)

I quit posting on FW back when they start registering everyone, and besides, explaining to a bunch of rednecks why they shouldn't be playing with K2Cr2O7 as a dyestuff and explaining that rash they get from lacewood gets a bit old after a while...

Nonetheless, I can't help but wonder... "Small" and "Entertainment Center" usually don't go together... I can handcut a dovetailed joint reasonably quickly (a pro should be able to make money figuring a job at 1 hour per joint minus 15 minutes per repeat, and I'm a hair slower than that), but I save it for drawers or ornamental pieces. You'll get might sick of chopping and sharpening if you're joining a wide board...

A nice jig to consider was described in "methods of work" about a year or two back. It described a dovetail-guiding jig that relied on a rare earth magnet to hold the saw plumb. They had to print a retraction a couple of issues later when Veritas complained that they had previously patented the idea and were marketing a manufactured version of the same thing.

dovetail guide

It's an addictive hobby - I'll be in for almost 200 labor hours by the time this guy is finished... 8 drawers, all dovetailed to curved bowfronts will eat most of that time.

lower carcase

-t

That is really cool to know. Easy and quick.

Here's another cool trick. If you want to hide your email address from evil spammers and their email-harvesting robots, but still make the email address visible and clickable to real people on your web page, you can combine entity replacement and Javascript:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

A = "MyEmailAddress";

B = "Yahoo.com";

document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + A + '@' + B + '\">');

document.write(A + '@' + B + '</a>');

</SCRIPT>

Produces:

MyEmailAddress@Yahoo.com

It adds too much computational time to spambots, and they would be collecting email addresses from people who are too smart to buy into their schemes anyways. Spammers need to collect thousands of email addresses to make a few sales, so they can't waste their time with veterans of the Internet.