Mt. Mcloughlin and Scott

johnh

I will be in southern Oregon in the middle of June 2006 and plan on climbing Mt. Mcloughlin and Mt. Scott then. What kind of conditions can I expect at this time of year? I will be climbing with one partner and both of us have done most of the Appalachian 6000 in winter and Mt. Hood 2 years ago.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed Mcloughlin a few years back in June (maybe it was July?)... expect nothing more than a long hike up a scree trail. No real route finding issues if you can follow paint spots on rocks. Coming down is a little trickier... not difficult, just trickier. On the way up, just keep turning around to see where you came from.

In June of an average year, you can expect at least some snow patches at 9000' so be aware of that. Of course this varies year to year (this past snow year you would have had a clear trail all the way to the summit in March! madgo_ron.gif)

I recall the bugs were pretty bad down low, too, but there was an awesome display of dragon files for the last thousand feet (including the summit). It was a nice hike from what I remember. thumbs_up.gif

Can't tell you anything about Scott though.