Kayland M11's or Trango Ice Evo's

FFCS

Looking at trango ice evos or M11's. Anyone try either? Have tried trango ice evos but had a little heel lift in them. Anyone with trango ice evos have heel lift problems? If so where you able to correct them? Don't know much about M11's, read a good review of them but would like some long term reviews. Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect you will be able to wear one or the other but not both. I have never been able to wear la sportiva... I have flat wide feet.

I LOVE my M11s. But they also fit me grin.gif

How much heel lift have you been getting? Did you try alternate lacing styles? What brands/models did you get a good fit out of in the past? What do you hope to use these boots for?

The lift is an inch or so, when standing on the toes heels out in the open. My previous boots were Salomon Super Mountain 9 guides. The lacing system on the la sportivas has a good behind the heel lacing system, but still could not eliminate the lift. Have never tried either boots. Want to buy the right boot if I am going to spend 4 bills. These will be WI boots with occasional alpine and glacier slogging. Frieh, have your M11 been warm enough? Where did you get them?

I've been looking at the same two boots and a few others. I understood the lacing on the Trango Ice EVO to be specifically designed to work on the heel lift issue.

trangoiceevo.jpg

I'm confused ... you get an inch of heel lift, that's insane! I'm having a hard time picturing the amount of slop that must exist between your ankle and the inside of the boot. Please elaborate.

Believe me , I couldn't figure it out either. I tried these boots on in a shop, stood on the toes, and my heels slowly lifted about an inch. The size I tried was a half size small for me. I tried the evo gtx version and had this problem, so when i tried the ice evo's I thought for sure I wouldn't have any lift. Not so, I think that maybe these might not be the right boot for me, which sucks because they are awesome boots. I have heard that doing an after market insole would eliminated this problem. Who knows, would like to try the M11 on to see how it fits. I also tried on a newer Salomon boot on and had no lift.

I got the M11s in the yard sale here! fruit.gif Since then I got a pair of kayland ice comps special order through bentgate.net as no one carries Kayland (at least that I can find) hellno3d.gif Good luck finding someone in OR/WA that stocks them... if you do let me know!

They run true to size... I am a 45 EU (or 11 US) in everyone minus la sportiva (45.5 EU).

I hesitate to say "yes they are warm enough" as it isn't just the boot that dictates if your feet stay warm... your layering system, how good your circulation is, etc etc all factor in.

With that said I climbed comfortable in Hyalite a few weeks ago in -15 F weather.

IMO An inch of heel lift is okay though it is border line. How tight did you have the boots laced? Super snug... i.e. about to lead WI? Or loose i.e. about to do the approach?

I have had the ice evo on before and if I remember correctly the rocker on the sole is super aggresive so it feels like your heel is moving a bunch but what is actually happening is your toes moving down.

And if you stand on your toes forever they are going to slowly slip inside the boot... try to simulate real world conditions. If you are in the Seattle area buy the boots... take them to cascadecrags and climb some foam ice and see how you like them. If they pass the test take themt to a gym and walk 4 miles on a treadmill... if they do okay keep 'em... if not return them.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

The cascade creags idea is good, I might have to try that. What is that foam like anyway? Can you wail at it or is it more of a delicate hooking thing? The lift is not the rocker, and I had them tight. Although, the size was wrong I think. I will be getting a larger size, and doing some kind of moldable insole. Has anyone tried the double insole or even just those new microwave insoles?

Foam is like super hero ice... if all ice in this world was like foam I could climb WI7... if only... rolleyes.gif

Still you can feel how the boots are especially the heel lift issue. Hit some of the dt routes so you can see if the ankle accommodates your footwork.

It is not uncommon for people to need a 1/2 size larger (EU units... not US units!) in La Sportiva... still try to insist on having someone experienced in boot fitting fit you... even if it means going to a different shop that doesn't specifically carry the boots you want at least you can get a solid idea on what size you need.