mountaineering rope recomendations

illegalviking

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

for mountaineering, where you're just on snow and ice and not hitting anything techical, a half rope is often nice and light and perfectly strong enough... but, beware,if you're dragging it over lots of sharp rock or will hit any real technical climbing, a light single rope's probably the best (9.2-9.8 ought to be fine). half ropes also suck sometimes for prussiking and they stretch a heck of a lot too so some would argue they're not the best for glacier travel. crazy.gif

But half ropes are good because they do stretch more, meaning that they don't put as much stress on the gear. Also you can just use one of those ropes for glacier travel.

Dragging them over sharp rock? Try not to because many times it's unnecessary seeing as you don't have to clip both ropes into the same pro.

Then again I have been leaning more towards what they use in europe. Sport and direct trad routes, with a walk down descent go with a light single that is 60m long like they suggested. If you're planning on doing alot of rappeling and climbing on less less than perfectly solid ice get a half rope. Not only does it not pull on gear as bad during a fall but it also allows for more rock pro placement without zig zagging while climbing narrow ice falls.

Yes I have checked the board for your advice and replies, my apologies for the belated thank you. After talking with some friends and reading the CC board. I bought the Beal Rando rope. I am only planning on using the rope for climbing mts such as Hood. What would be your opinion on using that rope for a Rainier climb?? Keep on climbing, thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
I bought the Beal Rando rope. I am only planning on using the rope for climbing mts such as Hood. What would be your opinion on using that rope for a Rainier climb?? Keep on climbing, thanks again

Keep in mind the Rando is a short rope. It isn't going to leave you much to build a z-pulley haul system with if you or your partner fall into a crevasse. That should definitely be a consideration if you climb Rainier.

• 1 year later...
I bought the Beal Rando rope. I am only planning on using the rope for climbing mts such as Hood. What would be your opinion on using that rope for a Rainier climb?? Keep on climbing, thanks again

Keep in mind the Rando is a short rope. It isn't going to leave you much to build a z-pulley haul system with if you or your partner fall into a crevasse. That should definitely be a consideration if you climb Rainier.

Hey IV, since you are posting here today and likely to see this, I thought I'd echo what Toast said above. I think a 50m or 60m rope is a better choice for crevassed terrain than a 30m "glacier" rope. If you have three people tied into your rope, 15m apart, you don't have any leftover to be able to drop a loop to someone in a crevasse or build a z-pulley to haul them out. That means you are relying on them climbing out on their own or relying on another team for help. The later will probably work on well-travelled routes like SS hood or DC/Emmons on Rainier, but its not an ideal way to travel in the mountains. Your team should be prepared to self rescue, and that's pretty difficult with a 30m rope.

My $0.02