gasoline on a climbing rope?

corvallisclimb

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tie a sheep shank? Cut the rope up before your tempted to use it and call it a $200 lesson. Keep all petroluem products and battery stuff (cables) out of range of your climbing gear. The other rules are cool, dry, dark, no cement floors for extended periods, etc, etc..

You must have fucked the brains out of Ed's old lady for him to be giving you advice like that.

evil.jpg"Come on out my West Coast Ice Fodder I'm waiting"

Edited by jmckay

Ed gets that a lot.

Gas on your rope?!! BAD DOG, NO BISCUIT!

JMcay gives good advice. ...sadly.

From the Beal site:

"Advice on care

. Before using the rope for the first time, wet the rope and let it dry slowly. In this way, it will shrink by about 5%. Take this into account when calculating required lengths.

. Note that during use, a rope thickens, and loses (up to 5%) of its length.

. The rope must not be put into contact with chemical agents, mainly acids, oils and petrol, which may destroy fibres without visible evidence. In the case of paints and cleaning agents, trials must be made before use on a case by case basis.

. Avoid unnecessary exposure to UV rays. Store the rope in the shade, away from damp and direct heat.

. If the rope is dirty wash it in clear cold water, adding, if necessary, some washing powder for delicate fabrics and using a synthetic fibre brush.

. If the rope has been wet, either during use or during washing, let it dry in the shade, away from any source of heat.

. After each use, inspect the rope manually and visually along its entire length.

. A rope is a piece of equipment which can suffer serious and invisible damages when it is used when you are not there.

. It is advisable to use a rope bag for transport, to protect it from dirt and minimise twisting." AND HELP KEEP BATTERY ACID AND PETROLIUM PRODUCTS FROM THE BACK OF YOUR TRUCK OFF OF IT

Corvallis, I personally saw a rope fail under bodyweight on rappel @ 29 years ago with trajic results. The kid didn't weigh that much either. As hard as it is to say, and I use to use my gear till it looked like sh*t and was beyond run into the ground when I was poor, I'd let the rope go.

You might search the internet for more info: heres athe Uiaa site:

uiaa site