El Potrero Chico - Trad Rack called for?

chris

...how big a trad rack should I take to El Potrero?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. ...how big a trad rack should I take to El Potrero?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need. It's limestone, and pretty much everything decent is bolted.

Ditto. Bring a 70M if you have one, too. You can double up the pitches with a 70 and will make rapping much more pleasant due to all the f-ing agave cacti growing on the cliff faces. Make sure that you bring about twenty of the longest draws you have, too. Have fun!

There are only a couple trad routes there. A couple Dane Bass put up on ridge lines freaky. Most of them are really long and have only seen maybe a secound acsent. Good luck and yes helmet, 70meter rope would be nice not nessary. I have even brought twins as there are some long raps. Oh stay at Rancho Cerro Gordo great place, Mel the owner a great host. ranchopotrerochico.com

another perspective (from someone who hasn't been there)...

so the area is known for its sport climbing and there are some long traditional routes with few ascents.....and everyone says you're gonna die on the trad routes. do you enjoy alpine rock climbing in the canadian rockies? if so, i bet you would groove on the long trad routes. if i was going to someplace like that for 5 weeks, i would include a real rack (and a gun).