Snow Caving in the Olympics?

scholle4

We are wanting to get an experience digging, and spending a night in a snow cave. Does anyone have any advice for a good location where you don't have to hike too far from the car - yet far enough to "get away" and find deep enough snow. The way I understad it - you can't park at Hurricane Ridge overnight? We're located in Bremerton and were hoping to do this in the Olympics...but Cascade Ideas would be ok too. Thanks!

Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The upper part of Mount Elinor is a great place to cave, and not far from the car at all. You can park at the lower lot at Hurricane ridge and the rangers are usually cool about giving lifts back up to the top if your patient. Paradise is also a great place but very crowded at times.

I've done it a ways down the obstruction point road. You can't park at the top of Hurricane ridge, but if you let the rangers know, you can park overnight down at the snowplow parking, maybe 1/2 mile down. It's a short walk to the obstruction point road snowshoe start. I dug a nice cave across the road from steeple rock, maybe 1 mi in.

I have done it a couple of times with some boy scouts at Hurricane Ridge. You can drive up and drop gear right by the end of the road. We hike down the trail a bit then head off to the left for some good drifts. When ready we let a ranger know who follows us in truck to an overnight parking area. He drives us back, then we get another ride down when we are ready to leave. The scouts have a blast, good scenery when clear, and it's with in walking distance to flushing toilets which are left open at night.

Rich