[TR] Box Canyon- Yellow Flow, Labyrinth 12/18/2005

Don_Serl

Climb: Box Canyon-Yellow Flow, Labyrinth

Date of Climb: 12/18/2005

Trip Report:

as i suspected, the Festering Wall and Mr Natural Wall have been totally fzcked by the past week of sunshne. and Grim Reaper is still running and thin. so we climbed Yellow Flow (easy, but thin for the first 10m, so needed care - also, note this route is only 80m (1 1/2 pitches), not 140m as per WCI). then we traversed to the Labyrinth Wall - very nice, lots of options, good ice, trees at 20m to TR from, no sun. led a very steep 15m 2-step pillar on the left, then TR'ed that and other stuff further right. made for a good day.

approach is not too bad - kinda wander left or right side, depending on which is clearer of bush, and up the drainage when neither side looks good. then straight up-slope to Snakes and Ladders flow. can traverse left to Yellow Flow or up and right to Labyrinth from there.

(however, there'll now be fresh snow to deal with...)

in fact, i enjoyed the walking so much that i left my insulated jacket at the base of Labyrinth and had to dash back in and out to retrieve it. 55 mins car-to-car...

cheers, don

Gear Notes:

a cpl shorties were useful.

Approach Notes:

skipoles help. so does patience...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jesse,

actually, it wasn't so much about l-o-v-e...

we didn't find the access too bad - mostly we followed traces of your tracks, and/or drew and steve's. if i recall, it was left side initially, then in the streambed, then left side again, then bed, then right (up and across a short boulder slope), then (key!) straight back across to left. then there is a fairly open band thru the alders just right of the fall-line from snakes and ladders.

and you've got the various routes correctly ID'ed. interestingly, Yellow Flow (which barely sees the sun this time of year) had built quite a bit; SaL (more exposed) was nearly unclimbably eroded by the week of sun.

p.s. there was another party of 3 on Labyrinth earlier in the day. getting a bit of traffic...

cheers, don