micromanaging

Gary_Yngve

i don't like doing it, but it has to be done sometime.

Wed Dec 7

"I need things graded by Fri Dec 16"

Fri Dec 9 - meet to discuss criteria, he tells me he can't start until Mon Dec 12

Mon Dec 12 - i email him all the hws

Thu Dec 15

"How's the grading going?"

"I haven't started."

Fri Dec 16

"Why didn't you grade these students?"

"I didn't grade this student because it looks like he accidently turned in the wrong thing."

"Did you email him about it?"

"No."

"How about you email him."

"Ok, I'll do it later."

"How about you email him now."

"Ok."

-ten seconds later-

"How about you email him RIGHT NOW."

the_finger.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is it's depressing that you have to deal with that shit in academia. I was always hoping if I quit my job and got a PhD I'd escape to the ivory tower, where I'd wear robes and spend hours hunched over historical documents, occassionaly attending a lecture, a cocktail party with witter banter, or just go straight to sabattical.

We got hired by a federal agency to conduct some research and environmental documentation. Somehow in a conversation with the feds I asked them do they ever contract with the UW as the profs have a cheap labor pool. He said they did but it's the usual story. The last time they met with some researchers there for a $250k contract the profs actually said they did not want to be held to any rigid schedule for deliverables(?).

Talk about bubbles.

well yngve it simply sounds like you need to get your shit together. is it really all that hard to grade a few student papers?

I mean, he did ask and you didn't do your job. get on it. you knew your rig when you signed up for service, so quit whining about it.

No, I was the boss asking my TA to grade the stuff. My TA wasn't doing the job adequately, so I had to micromanage, something I don't like to do.

No, I was the boss asking my TA to grade the stuff. My TA wasn't doing the job adequately, so I had to micromanage, something I don't like to do.

No you were nagging. Micromanaging would have been if you watched him grade the papers and commented that he was grading them in the wrong order. the_finger.gif

Gary comments:

Dwayner was the same way -- his later comments were uninsightful and trite.

Gary contributes:

i don't like doing it, but it has to be done sometime.

Wed Dec 7

"I need things graded by Fri Dec 16"

Fri Dec 9 - meet to discuss criteria, he tells me he can't start until Mon Dec 12

Mon Dec 12 - i email him all the hws

Thu Dec 15

"How's the grading going?"

"I haven't started."

Fri Dec 16

"I didn't grade this student because it looks like he accidently turned in the wrong thing."

"Did you email him about it?"

"No."

"How about you email him."

"Ok, I'll do it later."

"How about you email him now."

"Ok."

-ten seconds later-

the_finger.gif

Thanks for sharing. My life has been enriched by your contribution. Dwayner and I aspire someday to be so profound and simultaneously entertaining.

From the snippet of conversation you proffered, I get the impression that your TA is fully in charge of the situation. Perhaps a more direct approach would inspire your dominant TA into a more submissive role. Be more like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman than Gomer Pyle:

"I am Gary Yngve, your boss. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even a human, fucking being. You are nothing but an unorganized grabastic piece of amphibian shit. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewer will be sir. Do you understand that maggot? "

Cowering and shuffling approach...

Instead...

"You little scumbag! I got your name, I got your ass! You will not laugh, you will not cry, you will grade those papers. Now get up, get on your feet! You had best un-fuck yourself or I will unscrew your head and shit down your neck!"

Pussy-ass approach:

Instead...

"I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-fucking-seconds to e-mail that student or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-fuck you!"

Yep, he's definately got you by the balls. Take command or you'll soon be reduced to praying he gives you a little reach-around.

All I can say is it's depressing that you have to deal with that shit in academia. I was always hoping if I quit my job and got a PhD I'd escape to the ivory tower, where I'd wear robes and spend hours hunched over historical documents, occassionaly attending a lecture, a cocktail party with witter banter, or just go straight to sabattical.

I'd wear one of them funny 4 pointed hats all the time. Maybe a group of us smart Phds after an evening at cocktail parties full of witty banter could drive around till we find some dumb nonthreatening people then make fun of them.

Maybe a group of us smart Phds after an evening at cocktail parties full of witty banter could drive around till we find some dumb nonthreatening people then make fun of them.

I would think after being primed with cocktails and witty banter, a more viable alternative would be to find some nerdy LESS intelligent people to exercise your sharpened rapier intellect upon. N'est-ce pas?

[i'd wear one of them funny 4 pointed hats all the time. Maybe a group of us smart Phds after an evening at cocktail parties full of witty banter could drive around till we find some dumb nonthreatening people then make fun of them.

Must be the PNW equivalent of that vaunted NE tradition of "Barney Bashing" wherein working class locals (usually in groups of 3 or more) will cruise around places like Harvard and beat the living hell out of all those 'threatening' intellectual students....