Beckey guide ed. 3

rollo

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I out of the loop? I'd thought vol. one was already out as a 3rd edition awhile back. 1st edition was the dark brown pebble cover, 2nd was the beige pebble cover, and 3rd was a slick dark brown with the goofy Beckey-with-flowers photo on the back. Maybe it was brand new when I saw it (5 weeks ago I think) and I failed to grasp the recent vintage.

I only casually glanced at it, and noticed that the NE Buttress of Dragontail had a much better picture, but the line drawn was still in error. Somewhere on the back burner I have a TR from this summer simmering which needs a little more research on other lines on the buttress and some more doctoring of photos with the circles and arrows on the front and the paragraph on the back to be used as evidence against us.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

a slick dark brown with the goofy Beckey-with-flowers photo on the back. Maybe it was brand new when I saw it (5 weeks ago I think) and I failed to grasp the recent vintage.

The slick dark brown with flowers is vol 3 Rainy Pass to FRaser River, but it's actually dark red. Get your Beckey colours straight! [Mad]

The new brown one has been out for less than a year. I flipped through it briefly and didn't notice a whole lot that was different.. except for some new Rainier pics, and the rating of the south route on Garfield has risen to "class 4+" [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

So...Class 4+ means it's serious enough for most people to be roped up (class 5), but the rock is so rotten - why bother. Right?
[laf]

Or theres no pro, or whatever. Or then there is his description of Rexford, "Class 4 with protection placements".

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:

The slick dark brown with flowers is vol 3 Rainy Pass to FRaser River, but it's actually dark red. Get your Beckey colours straight!
[Mad]

I thought the new Vol 1 used the same author photo as the new Vol 3. Who was it that had the brilliant Beckey "manifestation" on the side of Torment? That was brilliant.

Class 4+ must be the special Cascade sandbag signifier, like 5.9 used to be in Joshua Tree, and other grades elsewhere. The plus sign usually seems to translate to "yeah, right." [laf]