Joke

pope

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AsexualChocolate said:

Since you're here, why was dwayner banned?

Jon suggests:

He knows why, ask him.

Jon, no can do buddy, you banned him. confused.gif Don't have his phone number.

As you are still here though.......

And btw Pope: What Gary Y says above is true. It would be nice to see some other dimensions of your mentality occasionally: like do you ever really get out and climb anymore or just discuss the anti-bolt thing you have online ad nauseum.

I was suprised that Trask existed merely to antagonise others, and never had climbed. Then it made sense to me.

My vote: bring Dwayner back, but when he gets boring, repeticious and pedanditic (most of the time) , just delete that group of posts where he keeps shouting out the same thing 20 times and antagonising everyone. FYI, overbolting is something that yanks my chain, however, I do not feel like the earth will stop if I don't put a stop to it immediately (like some others). I hope to get out and climb Infinite Bliss at some point in time for instance. Doing so will not cause my testies to fall off. (Hoping). I already understand (and have posted) my hypocracy and ambivalence about that whole issue, so why beat a dead horse.

I like to see all viewpoints: even when they are so F**ing wrong merely because they differ from mine. yelrotflmao.gif

I do not find it necessary or appropriate to publically air every decision that is made concerning this website, especially those pertaining to people losing their right (notice how I say right and not privilege) to post here. In every instance the person who has been showed the door knows why they got the boot, whether they want to admit it or not. Out of courtesy for them, since they can't defend themselves, I just choose not to talk about it anymore. Don't confuse that with not standing by a decision.

Pope, if you hate this place so much and disagree with how we run it, why don't you do what Fairweather did and throw a final fit and leave, come back, throw another fit, and then leave again. Then again stirring the pot is so much more fun.

I do not find it necessary or appropriate to publically air every decision that is made concerning this website, especially those pertaining to people losing their right (notice how I say right and not privilege) to post here.

of course it isn't necessary, but it might be helpful in letting people make up their own minds inre banning, since they at least get ONE side of the story (obviously the other side ain't here to present theirs).

dwayner was annoying, and that's what he got off on (attention), but was he really that much more annoying than the rest of us frequent poster shits? nah i don't think so. he was just able to get under people's skins; i don't think he should be banned for that.

He knows why, ask him.

O.K. Here's "why" Dwayner was banned, as he understands it:

A certain moderator whose identity has already been alluded to (perhaps in company with others), first called him, and threatened to ban him, claiming that his posts on ethical matters were "disruptive" and "manipulative". Dwayner was told to "tone it down" or be banned. It was not that his posts were vulgar, cruel or threatening (which seems to be regularly tolerated here), it was a matter of style and intensity. Said moderator also insisted that Dwayner was insincere (a.k.a: a liar) when D. claimed that D. didn't really care if people responded to his posts, nor was anyone required to create a spray-fest as a result. [To accurately second-guess Dwayner's intentions would require great feats of mind-reading powers, which said moderator certainly does not possess.]

If a moderator believed that Dwayner's posts were manipulative, than said moderator must also believe the patronizing notion that the readership of cc.com is naive and gullible and needs to be protected from unpopular ethical or other notions presented in some sort of clever and deceptive way that will somehow lead them astray. Apparently, readers are unable to read and/or ignore and/or scroll by Dwayner's posts if they disagree, and must fight an uncontrollable urge to respond and thereby disrupt the proceedings! Therefore, when Dwayner did not conform, a banning was necessary: TO PROTECT YOU from Dwayner and his obnoxious ideas!!! Contrary to one rumor (or misunderstanding on the part of above said moderator), D. never agreed to drop his stance or style.)

Dwayner espouses a clean-climbing ethic. Bolts play a controversial role in that ethic. Permanent alteration of the environment by bolt-dependent sport-climbing is the anti-thesis of this viewpoint, a viewpoint that is held by more than a few, yet is rarely presented to new climbers today because the implications are inconvenient both to those who want an easy-to-achieve thrill, and the gear suppliers who feed on it.

Anyway, after a few "avatar" changes, which when discovered were likewise banned, "Dwayner" was permanently tossed aside over a year ago. The final straw might have been when he objected to the bolting that took place in a cave in Oregon which climbers (along with local rednecks tossing tires, bottles and garbage), essentially trashed with bolts and chalk. A climber complaining about other climbers behavior? Shocking!!!! rolleyes.gif Or was it his disgust with the line of bolts (someone's idea of a "project"), complete with abandoned quick-draws and biner's, on a short section of rock near the Tooth? (Rap wall?)after which three "moderators" aggressively attacked him for that opinion. Or maybe that he thinks "Infinite Bliss" is an atrocity and should be erased?

Dwayner apparently also pissed off Jon, the site-owner, with a topic called something like "cc.com jumps the shark" which was intended to be a fun discussion about the crappiest TOPIC presented on the site, NOT THE SITE ITSELF. This is a misunderstanding which I know he regrets; because despite the large volume of ridiculous this and that on cc.com, there is a core of very useful information shared here.

There's the Dwayner story, as he understands it. Is it fair? Come to your own conclusion. Jon is right, this site, although it is publically accessible, is ultimately private, and he and his team of "moderators", can control participation as they please. As "Dwayner" is no longer allowed to post nor defend himself "first-hand", you get it here, "second-hand".

- Textileman

P.S. "Catbird" writes:

Pope, I challenge you to be other than the one-dimensional bore that you have been. If you could expound on other facets of climbing than this one issue, people might take you more seriously...

"Catbird", I challenge you to take a good look in the mirror, mister, and then read all the superficial nonsense you've posted for years....then come back and see if you could again, in good conscience, write what you did above. He's a very good climber with many years of experience. Sit down and listen, big-shot.

The fact is that you take the most extreme view possible.

They are not the most extreme views. There are viewpoints out there that would have the whole world of climbing shut down. You might not like (or even understand) the nature of pope's views, or his style, but they are indeed his views. Perhaps you would like to see him banned as well because you don't find him sufficiently amusing? Or you require a comfortable homogeneity in "climber-thought"? Whatever. rolleyes.gif

TomStoppard_149qaCo53.jpg

And btw Pope: What Gary Y says above is true. It would be nice to see some other dimensions of your mentality occasionally: like do you ever really get out and climb anymore or just discuss the anti-bolt thing you have online ad nauseum.

I'll out-climb you on your best day and I can out-drink you right now. bigdrink.gif

I'll out-climb you on your best day and I can out-drink you right now. bigdrink.gif

Thats what I'm talking about. But hey, so what? My dog can do both as well and you don't see him showing up bragging about it.

But as long as you are putting it out there, if you really do climb, love to connect at some point, I'll bet you give good belay.

As far as the beer thing, we can see, but as I'm a lightweight and a cheap assed one at that, I'll attempt to be gracious and allow you to purchase said libations? OK?

Textileman *coughdwayner*coughdwayner*, that you for the heads up. Glad to see you back.

Joke for the morons!

A guys walks into a bar and asks the bartender for a shot of gin. Bartender notices this guy has a speech impedament and decides I'm going to have some fun. Bartender says, we have three kinds of gin, nitrogen, hydrogen, and oxygen; which would you like? The hairlip thought for a moment and replied, "is that so bartender, well there are three kinds of turds, mustard, custard, and you ya big shit."

Get it?