silver star via silver star creek

thelawgoddess

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

i already did a search and didn't find exactly what i was was seeking.

anybody done this route recently? (or not so recently?)

you can pm me ...

I did in early July of this year. It's a slog up through the Siver Star Creek drainage and some bushwacking to get to the base of Vasaliki Ridge (we scoped Clean Break on the way in). We followed the base of the ridge to a fun coulior (maybe 40-45 degrees?) that took us to the base of Burgandy col on the E side. From there it was maybe 1 1/2 hours to the summit.

We went out the Burgandy col route and then managed to get a ride back to our car from the first car that went by (saving us a 5 mile walk). My notes from the trip say "approached via Silver Star Creek. Don't." IMHO, the best way in and out is via Burgandy col (unless, of course, like Alex you can ski the whole way down the Silver Star drainage).

• 2 weeks later...

The Silver Star creek approach will involve some bushwacking even in the Spring, so if you don't like that kind of thing you would not want to go that way. Personally, I like bushes but I would still just about always recommend approaching the N. side of Silver Star via Burgundy col because you start a thousand feet higher and there is two miles less travel involved (it is about a 3,000 foot steep grind, though, and it can be icy up towards the col). In the Spring, the Silver Star Glacier can be a great ski run and a good tour is to climb up via Burgundy, tag the summit, and ski out via Silver Star Creek.

I think the only way without bushwhacking is via Burgundy Col. I've done part of Silver Ck in spring, and while it was fine on skis, it seemed it would be brushy w/o snow.

However, it would seem to me that Silver Ck is more straightforward route-finding, since you follow a valley bottom; whereas with Burgundy Col, it's easy to end up at the wrong col (which may or may not be a problem), and there are misleading paths. Also sometimes its hard to pick up the climbers path from the valley bottom, although the forest is quite open, so not such a big deal.

I've also done the Willow Ck approach, which may be the quickest way up, but this has bushwhacking and route-finding.

why the [Frown] ?

this is a beautiful climb from the burgundy col side.

a bit tricky finding the trail up from the road

(you drop down from the road to a creek, cross the creek and then it takes a wee bit 'o searching to find the trail on the other side, but it t'aint bad!)

then the hike up to the col is *steep* but, hey, you get up fast that way.

it's not THAT bad!

i did this trip with a friend a couple of years ago, late summer, and loved it.

really beautiful, and you get to check out the wine spires on the way in.

scramble to the summit is fun, and the views back into the N Cascades are stunning.

go for it!

(especially if you've never been to washington pass for cripes sake [Eek!] )

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

hmm. i really do hate bushes.
[Frown]

now what???

In my research of females experimenting with homosexual relationships, I have found that most will get over the feeling of rejection within a short period of time. My prognosis is that you will soon explore the "one night stand" with a male of your choosing. Consumption of alchohol in excess is encouraged for this recovery period to occur.

Yours Truly

Dr. Ben Crazy [Wazzup]

Like Sarah said, it is beautiful up there. However, I bet the climb would be challenging right now because the telemletry station reports about 18 inches of snow at 5500 feet at Washington Pass and also that the pass received the rain on Tuesday so it will probably be crusty.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Ben Krazy:

In my research of females experimenting with homosexual relationships, I have found that most will get over the feeling of rejection within a short period of time. My prognosis is that you will soon explore the "one night stand" with a male of your choosing. Consumption of alchohol in excess is encouraged for this recovery period to occur.

in my years of hands-on research i have come to conclude that all relationships are experiments. and while the "one night stand" might be exploratory in nature, the opportunities for deeper and more fulfilling exploration come long after a mere 8-hour romp in the hay. and as for the alcohol, if you're gonna screw something ugly there's no need to kill brain cells while you do it. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Like Sarah said, it is beautiful up there. However, I bet the climb would be challenging right now because the telemletry station reports about 18 inches of snow at 5500 feet at Washington Pass and also that the pass received the rain on Tuesday so it will probably be crusty.

thanks, mattp. [smile]

• 3 weeks later...

It's not that big a deal getting in from Silver Star creek. The trail begins right from the road and is fairly obvious all the way up. I would say the bushwacking is minimal to moderate. The trail soon opens up into the basin.

Not a big deal