Rad (1986)

Geek_the_Greek

Remember this? BMX movie, now a cult classic.

Rad.png

From the back of the box:

"Cru Jones is the best BMX biker in Cochrane. He's got the talent to become the best BMX daredevil in the world. As the local paperboy, he jumps, spins, twists, and flips his bike with amazing ability. Bart Conner is the best BMX biker in the world, and he's in town to race for the $100,000 HELLTRACK competition, the most grueling BMX race in history. Cru wants a shot at winning the title, but his mom, Talia Shire, insists he take his college entrance exams which fall on the same day. For the first time in his life, Cru has to make his own decisions. He decides to go for Helltrack, but Jack Weston the race promoter, has a dirty scheme for keeping the local whiz kid out of the race and away from his prized champion. Only the gorgeous Lori Loughlin, a member of the opposite team, can get Allen on track for Helltrack! And teach him a few other things while she's at it!"

We totally need a climbing (bouldering/bolt clipping) version of this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We totally need a climbing (bouldering/bolt clipping) version of this.

I don't think that you can achieve the 80's mystique with anything that is being made today. The film makers today would be loath to give into the bad acting/predictable story to create stuff like that. Oh, wait, no they wouldn't. I say give it a go.

I gave my brother a bootleg DVD of it for Christmas last year. He was 4 when the original came out, but he loves the move. I am not sure that is reproducible, but it may be worth a try. It would be comical to see Bart Conner as a climber for Team Black Diamond. Back in the day he may have been able to pull down though.

Unfortunately it is not. The DVD I found on ebay was made from a VHS copy. The quality was actually pretty good. It wasn't any worse than a VHS move.

For me the Send Me an Angel scene was awesome, but the first scene with the bit of vert riding was the best. I had a half pipe and watching the best riders at the time was so RAD.

it is important to have all the correct ingredients for a plot. these movies clearly have that:

Exposition - introduction of the main characters and setting;

Rising Action - one (or more) characters in crisis

Climax - point of highest emotion; turning point

Falling Action - resolution of character’s crisis

Denouement - “untying of plot treads”; resolution