Arcteryx Gamma SV gloves?

chrisr

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... more importantly, are they worth $85? Thanks.

No pair of gloves is worth $85.

For leading, get two or three pairs of gloves with good dexterity. I have a pair of REI "Mistral" schoeller gloves that are good. Those cheap, rubber-coated-palm, insulated work gloves that you find at hardware stores are good too. Then get a pair of warm, cheap gloves (think thrift store ski gloves) for belaying. You don't want to be fumbling around due to thick gloves while leading hard shit.

Put some chemical "toe warmers" (adhesive) on the backs of your hands in cold (0deg F) conditions. They will boost the temperature rating of your thin, dexterious gloves by about 20 degrees. $1.25.

Spend the money you save on good ice screws, tools with detachable leashes, and pinky hooks (or give it to me).

I got a pair, via pro deal, that are on their third season now and by far they're the best ice leading gloves I've used. Warm enough, dry very quickly when wet, excellent dexterity and they fit me perfectly. Tried a number of other gloves and nothing works better for me. As much as I don't like the price tag, they work for me so I bit the bullet and picked up a replacement pair (no pro deal this time).

yeah what AF said, thin gloves for leading/following, thick gloves for belaying. The one thing I would look for in the thin gloves is a single layer of insulation--they'll dry out easily overnight that way. I really like my marmot ice moto gloves for climbing, but they have a fixed inner lining that is hard to dry and sometimes hard to put on with wet hands. I think the cloudveil ice flow gloves are simmilar. I tried the atlas gloves ("thermal" grey palm) with the knit hand backing this year, and they worked great, even down to single digit temps. easier to dry out and they don't sweat out like the vinylove fully-rubber gloves. just make sure theres a warm pair of gloves waiting at the end of that pitch. wink.gif

Have you looked at the BD Drytool as an alternative? I have had a pair for the last few years and they have been burley enough for most things, although I don't use them for rope work. I've been nothing but happy with mine, and they are cheaper than the Arcteryx gloves, around $60.

I have had the gamma's for a year, but never used for ice.

THe one thing to know is that they are NOT windproof.

If it's windy, your hands will get cold pretty fast.

I have to locate my thin 2-nd skin liner gloves and try them out and see if that helps.

Outside of the wind issue, they fit great and and have unbelievable dexterity. Think of...leather driving gloves.

Also, the pull tabs on the cuffs are great - when getting the 2nd one on the tab says "bite me" smile.gif