Injuries without Dignity

snugtop

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was walking backwards along a dock in Sitka, Alaska when I was in my 20's, waving goodbye to a mate leaving on a boat. I fell through the piling hole (situated in the middle of the floating dock), hit my head on the rail as I went under. I came up for air, and there was just weedy styrofoam. My friend dove off the departing boat and pulled me out from under the dock. I had a huge bone bruise on the side of my jaw for 4 months.

The looks I got. pitty.gif

Roasty, good job on the smashing yourself. It reminded me of tipping up a wall on a steep hillside addition I was working on. We tipped up the wall, than when I went to nail a brace it got bad. I hit my finger with the hammer and when I reacted I hit the side of my head with the claw end. When I pulled back from that I fell through the wall about 8 feet to the ground and tumbled to a stop. My "friends" where all laughing so hard I had to make my own way back up the hill. No dignity but hilarious to look back on.

Eh... I'm biking home from work last winter. Thought I was so cool 'cause I was riding a fixed-gear. I neglected to roll up my pant leg on the chain ring side. Who cares if you get a little chain grease on your jeans, right? Anyway, I had just come down off a hill on this little deserted side street. Not a soul in sight, totally clear road. Almost in slow motion, I watch in horror as my pant leg gets caught in the chain. Because it's a fixed gear, I can't coast so the pant-leg-chain connection slowly pulls me off me bicycle. Crash. The result - one small scratch on my elbow, and one very broken collar bone. I learned that yelling "fuck!!!" loudly enough in the middle of the road will eventually summon help. I also learned that people have very little sympathy for you if you had just broken your other collar bone riding a fixe 6 months prior. I don't ride fixe much anymore.