Injuries without Dignity

snugtop

I went to Squid Ski School last night, got hit by a snowboarder, and now I'm lying here with an icepack, oxycodone, and one f*cked up knee. F'ing snowboarders! madgo_ron.gif

Ever fall down the stairs and dislocate your shoulder? Tripped and broken your leg? Taken a fall and knocked your teeth out?

Last trip to the ER I had was for a running injury--I fell on I-90 and sliced my arm open, needed stiches. The worst part was having to take my shirt off (yes I was wearing a sportsbra, ya pervs) wrap it up and walk across the bridge with my arm in a bloody shirt. Not one of the 3 cyclists who passed me stopped to offer any help. F'ing cyclists! madgo_ron.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i broke my fibula a week before my high school graduation. i put hand on the railing of my friend ryan's ground-level porch and vaulted over, a shortcut to the streed i'd only been doing ten times a week since i was 8 years old. only this time, his mom was doing some gardening and left a small hand trowel on the ground. foot hit trowel, leg slid out away from me, crack, ouch. i was on crutches for the whole graduation shindig.

Well, the sucks

Did you get the name of that boarder? He should be making soms kind of restitution. if he was uphill from you, then he was boarding out of control.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hope the injury isn't too bad.

He wasn't out of control- he was simply an asshole. mad.gif

The only thing that saved him from a pounding was that I needed him to go get the first aiders.

When I was 8, my family was in California visiting my grandparents. There was a playground close to their house, and my brother and I were over there playing, with some other kids, one Saturday afternoon.

My brother was passing time by piling sand on the down side of a heavy, metal see-saw, then going to the other side, pushing down hard, and making the sand fly.

Yours truly had the grace and wits to stand next to the side flying up into the air, I turned my head, and it smacked into my mouth. F*ck! Since it was Saturday, we had to call a dentist in from home to fix me up. Over the years I've had numerous falsies on my front "teeth."

But I've never broken a bone. How cool is that?

Hope your knee doesn't require surgery. To alleviate the nausea don't take the Oxy orally. Use as a suppository. Works real quick w/o the barfing. The while your buzzin' make a voodoo doll of snowboarder, and then proceed to stickin him. That should help with any issues of anger.

Teeth Biffing Story #1

When I was seven I held a globe in my hands and estimated that if I dug long and hard enough in the backyard I would pop out in China. I was intent. The red clay was soft. Soon I was chest deep, throwing shovelfulls of dirt over my head and behind me. You can see where I'm going with this: Teeth Biffing #1, the first of many encounters between my front teeth and objects of greater hardness, velocity, or both. It all started with a shovel handle, deep in the heart of Georgia.

if he was uphill from you, then he was boarding out of control.

Unless you're a gaper and you are the one who is out of control?

Also, it's a proven fact that no skier has ever run into a snowboarder. Ever. rolleyes.gif

I'm sure it's happened, but the one time I was nailed from behind, it was a snowboarder. They think that running the fall line is "in control" until some object is in front of them, at which time, they discover the truth.

My "Injury without Dignity" story happened while I was in college getting ready to take one of our club's 30 ft sloops out to race the Beer Cans Regatta. Someone let a jib halyard get loose and then pulled it up out of reach. I shinnied up the mast and retrieved it. Everyone was much impressed until I came down. I lost traction and slid down the pole until my shin bone contacted the heavy stainless steel spinnaker pole ring on the front of the mast. I lay writhing on the foredeck in agony until the pain subsided. I probably should have had the leg x-rayed but I went out and did the race instead.

I gave myself wicked elbow tendinitis by trying to shovel 10 yds of topsoil in record time. For many months, my climbing was curtailed/affected, but instead of potential chestbeating about overtraining, etc., all I had was the dirty truth! hellno3d.gif

I also know a guy who fell off a ladder and broke both wrists. For several weeks, he had casts on both hands and needed his wife and others to do EVERYTHING requiring hands for him 24/7. hahaha.gif

Edited by matt_warfield