Survival Gear for Winter Routes

JayB

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My turn to call BS Dru. Let's do a test. I'll have you lay down in the snow while I spend an hour making a fire. Sure I could get a rope under you or a pack. But if you have a broken back, which would you rather have under you, a nice flat foam pad, or a rope?

Tell you what - let's do this test, which is more reflective of real life conditions.

You and I will do an unequipped bivi somewhere. No tents, stoves or sleeping bags. Only normal day-trip winter climbing clothing and gear (pack, screws, ice tools etc).

You will get a foam pad. Hell, you can bring a Thermarest if you want. I will get a fire. You can't come anywhere near my fire and I can't come anywhere near your foam pad. We will see who is warmer through the night. smirk.gif

Okay, but I get to break your back first to make it fair. tongue.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

My pack has a removable 3/4 foam pad for a forced bivy, feet go in the pack sack pulled up as far as possible. Belay jacket/ balacava, gloves rain pants and rain jacket always live in the bottom of the pack. I usually have a day or two worth of petrified power/luna/inedible brick bars stuffed somewhere in the pack. Headlamp and rudimentary first aid kit are always in the top pocket of the pack too. I also have been known to actually do a planned "forced" bivy to get more suffering practice. Did I mention carrying 10 lbs. of extra body weight?

Someone posted this link on CC a couple weeks ago. It has good stuff about bivy gear: http://www.psychovertical.com/?bivibags

Personally I'd also rather bring along a taun-taun but the freakin' bears love them up here. I've developed a list but in reality the items on that list are usually sitting on the couch where I forgot them. Thus I spend my nights playing the "I wish I had remembered to bring" game!

First off, Paris Hilton would be a useless ice cube before any accident or bivy occurred.

Second, no mp3 would be loud enough to drown out her whining.

Third, a half-assed blowjob is only going to get you cold.

So here is what I take to be prepared for forced-bivys;

1. Whicking under layer (top and bottom).

2. whicking second layer(top only).

3. medium pile layer(top and bottom).

4. Gortex (top and bottom).

5. dry socks.

6. insulated jacket and pants that fit under my goretex (I got second hand Moonstone polarguard 3D).

7. Good hat (I like fleece lined wool).

8. neck gaitor.

9. small closed cell pad in pack.

10. pocket rocket @ small pot.

11. lighter

12. headlamp

13. Tape & a few gauze pads.

14. Sharp knife (for cutting kindling shavings, clothing from bleedouts,emergency apendectomies).

15. 4 or 5 small fire starters (i tie string in a small bundle and dip it in wax a few times).

16. matches (well sealed).

17. extra food.

oh catturd, give it a brake! 3 pages of internet spew. bring this, bring that. the point is you can nver bring enough. every situation is a different story, so your head (thinking and experience) are the best survival gear you have. it's also like watching the discussion on ice screw placement and many other nonsense topics. you can't learn climbing by typing on internet. if you post to pass time at your boring job, fine. posting conditions- fine. but let's face it- most of the posts are just a bunch of spew made by frustrated office workers.so don't get your panties in the wad and enjoy the ride. werd

Thanks Glassgokiss, I have to tell ya, One of my favorite guys was this old guy that I met in Alaska. He was a Russian expatriot that escaped over the Bering sea and then learned to "speak" english from the swede mine workers in the north. His version was of english was "a bit differant" but he was a smart man just the same. So... Polish Bob you may now join the ranks of Russian John.

Very good point, the best survival gear is keeping your head together. Besides this place doesn't have any color without ya. So every body group hug now and bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Dru, when everything is wet, can you start a fire effectively with matches and a little firestarter? I don't think I can.

Yes, but I've had lots of practice. YEARS of firestartiung experience. And I have taken 4 (count 'em) NFLSe (National Firestarting Leadership School (ewe)) courses. And I wear a sheepskin vest. And I've chopped more bolts than you will ever place. So get out your measuring tape but you'll need a frickin' odometer to measure mine. wave.gif

Pretty sure of yourself eh big fella!

If your serious your type always makes me a little nervous!

Dru, when everything is wet, can you start a fire effectively with matches and a little firestarter? I don't think I can.

Yes, but I've had lots of practice. YEARS of firestarting experience. And I have taken 4 (count 'em) NFLSe (National Firestarting Leadership School (ewe)) courses. And I wear a sheepskin vest. And I've chopped more bolts than you will ever place. So get out your measuring tape but you'll need a frickin' odometer to measure mine. wave.gif

gorilla_beating_chest.gif

You should be VERY nervous. Why, I've probably forgotten more about flame than you will ever learn. Send PM for a copy of my resume and list of sponsors. Oh, just wait for the slideshow tour and book launch! evils3d.gif

Yes, but I've had lots of practice. YEARS of firestarting experience. And I have taken 4 (count 'em) NFLSe (National Firestarting Leadership School (ewe)) courses. And I wear a sheepskin vest. And I've chopped more bolts than you will ever place. So get out your measuring tape but you'll need a frickin' odometer to measure mine. wave.gif

gorilla_beating_chest.gif

You should be VERY nervous. Why, I've probably forgotten more about flame than you will ever learn. Send PM for a copy of my resume and list of sponsors. Oh, just wait for the slideshow tour and book launch! evils3d.gif

Flame isn't what I'm about, I'm just always a little put off by someone who may be too big for their boots.

You may very well be an accomplished climber but hell... be a little humble man ..... take a page out of Crofts book.

Yeah, but how many years of cottonballs-dipped-in-petroleum-jelly retail experience do you have? Your sheepskin vest probably isn't even the lightest and most fireproof one on the market. rolleyes.gif

also like watching the discussion on ice screw placement and many other nonsense topics. you can't learn climbing by typing on internet. if you post to pass time at your boring job, fine. posting conditions- fine. but let's face it- most of the posts are just a bunch of spew made by frustrated office workers.

yellaf.gif