Survival Gear for Winter Routes

JayB

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best winter survival gear is to bring a taun-taun along. If Squid had had one at Snocrummie the other day he could have slit open its belly and put Snugtop inside and then she wouldn't of gotten cold and gone into shock.

Foolish to venture into the mountains in the winter without one, I say.

My turn to call BS Dru. Let's do a test. I'll have you lay down in the snow while I spend an hour making a fire. Sure I could get a rope under you or a pack. But if you have a broken back, which would you rather have under you, a nice flat foam pad, or a rope?

Tell you what - let's do this test, which is more reflective of real life conditions.

You and I will do an unequipped bivi somewhere. No tents, stoves or sleeping bags. Only normal day-trip winter climbing clothing and gear (pack, screws, ice tools etc).

You will get a foam pad. Hell, you can bring a Thermarest if you want. I will get a fire. You can't come anywhere near my fire and I can't come anywhere near your foam pad. We will see who is warmer through the night. smirk.gif

The best winter survival gear is to bring a taun-taun along. If Squid had had one at Snocrummie the other day he could have slit open its belly and put Snugtop inside and then she wouldn't of gotten cold and gone into shock.

Those suckers are always breaking down.

Dru, when everything is wet, can you start a fire effectively with matches and a little firestarter? I don't think I can.

Yes, but I've had lots of practice. YEARS of firestartiung experience. And I have taken 4 (count 'em) NFLSe (National Firestarting Leadership School (ewe)) courses. And I wear a sheepskin vest. And I've chopped more bolts than you will ever place. So get out your measuring tape but you'll need a frickin' odometer to measure mine. wave.gif

My turn to call BS Dru. Let's do a test. I'll have you lay down in the snow while I spend an hour making a fire. Sure I could get a rope under you or a pack. But if you have a broken back, which would you rather have under you, a nice flat foam pad, or a rope?

Tell you what - let's do this test, which is more reflective of real life conditions.

You and I will do an unequipped bivi somewhere. No tents, stoves or sleeping bags. Only normal day-trip winter climbing clothing and gear (pack, screws, ice tools etc).

You will get a foam pad. Hell, you can bring a Thermarest if you want. I will get a fire. You can't come anywhere near my fire and I can't come anywhere near your foam pad. We will see who is warmer through the night. smirk.gif

Okay, but I get to break your back first to make it fair. tongue.gif

Mine won't pass emissions.

Mine won't pass emissions.

Better one that doesn't pass emissions than one that does, and is constantly doing it. snaf.gifhellno3d.gif

So, How is Snugtop wazzup.gif

I take food, extra water and clothes.

You can make a "pad" out if tree branches to insulate the victim. I think I will start taking a small stove and pot and some hot chocolate mix as it will give the victim something to do while I go for help or, if incapacitated, then the warm liquid would raise spirits