Shuksan Arm

letsroll

Was thinking about heading up to shuksan arm and spending a couple of days up there. How does the ski area feel about cars parked there for a couple of days? ALso what is the cost of a snow park permit in washington? How far up the arm do people typically go? Taking the week off between X-Mas and New Years, get in shape week cantfocus.gif. Another trip I heard of is to go through the white pass ski area and skin to goat rocks area. Anybody done that one?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past for overnight trips to Shuksan, I have parked at the pullout *outside* the gate for the Mount Baker ski area, which I read in some guidebook (maybe Nelson v1?) was ok. The one time I parked at the ski area for an overnight trip, I almost found out the hard way that the ski area locks the gate in the evening after the lifts close. Got my car out just as they were locking the gate. [This was in April when the MB ski area was only operational during weekends; they were presumably locking up for the work-week. ]

As for Shuksan Arm, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Several routes on Mount Shuksan cross over, or parallel parts of Shuksan Arm. I have also heard that there is a route that folks have skied all the way along Shuksan Arm, but I never tried it.

Hope that helps. wave.gif

Here's the GPS track of a recent tour from Austin Pass towards Lake Ann and back along Shuksan Arm to the ski area:

shuksanarm3lg.th.jpg

Skiing along the crest of the Arm puts you in a fantastic position, with great views in all directions. Something to keep in mind is that the crest has a lot of micro terrain features that would be ugly to deal with in a whiteout or very icy conditions.

if you are doing an overnight trip it doesnt really matter if they lock the gate as you wont be leaving. and what gate by the way? I have never seen a gate up there.

during the ski season there a campers and cars overnight in the uppermost parking lot all the time, and you dont need a sno-park permit that I know of because the lot isnt maintained by the State Parks system.

I have wanted to ski the Arm for a long time too, let me know how it goes. I will be up there in the resort during that time period, I will keep an eye open for you! have fun!

I have skied south of the White Pass area only as far as the Hogsback. easy to get that far and nice lines to ski in that area, a bit short, but fun. getting all the way out to Goat Rocks from there looks fun.

if you are doing an overnight trip it doesnt really matter if they lock the gate as you wont be leaving. and what gate by the way? I have never seen a gate up there.

I was referring to the second day. As in, if you come back late, the gate could be closed. But as I said, it is probably only an issue at the tail end of the skiing season, when the ski area is only operating on weekends. Best bet would just be to check with the ski area. wave.gif

A reference to said gate:

http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/04/041_Nooksack.html

oh, that gate...I guess I am just so used to using the upper lot I forgot all about the gate to the White Salmon Lodge. whenever I have gone into the BC from the ski area I have always started from the upper area, including the time I started up the Arm, I just never made it as far as I wanted to go, hence the reason I am interested in heading up the Arm all the way to shuksan.

thanks for posting that link BTW, that was a great TR and nice photos.