Belay jackets?

MovingMountain

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I love that jacket.. I've got the new improved mammut stratus with hood and it is amazing. Either one is great from what i've seen but... the mammut will keep ya toasty for sure. DAS will also. I have nothing neg to say about the mammut stratus now.. had the old one.. was way to cold/thin. Not anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The enclosure is rated poorly because the shell didn't repel moisture as well, I think they said it was a little too form fitting as well. I own a DAS and an enclosure ( got the enclosure for free). I use the DAS as a belay parka and the enclosure as an around towner. Dirty harry's right try the patagucci outlet in Dillon, I got mine there for $140.

In addition'

(if I got it right?)

Climbing gear editor claims that Enclosure SHOULD be warmer regarding to amount of filling they put in.

We, owners of the parka, know that body is 200g and sleeves 170g.

Looks like way how Cloudveil made it, didn't give expected performance output. I was just few evening out on -10C and I've never tried DAS before.

My enclosure was $90CAD+Tax, and I couldn't resist to buy it.

I love it

I have DAS for ice climbing - great jacket, but quite large. For alpine I have a Puffball Jacket. Very similar to a DAS but smaller and lighter. Both have a hood which is pretty important.

FWIW: I wouldn't trust a gear reviewer to choose toilet paper for me.

I about to buy either a Das Parka or a ID Dolimitti belay jacket for ski mountaineering. Any pro/con opinions on either?

the ID is a real dark horse - hardly anyone knows about them, cuz Integral don't budget for the publicity/advertising that the "big" companies do. but i've had one for years, and use it lots, with good results. i like the big, loose, forgiving fit, and i think the knit cuffs are absolutely great - simple, clean fitting, and always snug enuf to prevent drafts. the major problem for your use (ski mtneering) is that the patch material on the shoulders, etc is poorly chosen - it's a taslan-type fabric and snow clings to it. i solved that problem on a spring trip a few years ago by cutting all that fabric off the jacket. it's lighter and works better now!

i recently shared a DAS parka back and forth with a friend for a day of ice climbing, and i thought it was a really well designed jacket - nice hood, nice pocketing, practical sizing.

cheers, don

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the ID Dolmitti for about 5 years and I still love it. I have it with the zip off hood, which I especially like--and the hood is really nice (and often the weak link of a jacket). It has held up well with the only issues being where I leaned against my haning stove and burned a hole in the shoulder. It is still the only belay jacket I use and I see no reason to update it--I would recommend it assuming, as with everything else, that it FITS! Too many people settle for gear just because it has great reviews regardless of fit...go figure...

Anyone know of a belay parka warmer than the DAS? The new model doesn't seem to have near the loft of the model from 5 or so years ago.

Thanks

-M

The WT belay parka is widely considered the warmest. I have a WT Denali jacket which is a belay jacket with hard shell and that sucker is only brought out on sub zero days.

pitty.gif

GoLite 6 month night parka. WARM!

These looked pretty good except I don't see them being made anymore. Buying used isn't great due to synthetics losing their loft fairly quickly over time.

Bronco,

Yeah, I've got a 3-4 yr old WT belay parka that's nice except the hood doesn't fit well over a helmet. So is the new model better?

Also, I'm looking for a -30F kinda thing.

WT denali has the same insulation, but it has a hardshell, not microfiber. Mine is about 8 years old and has a gtx outershell, but they switched over to sympatex in the last few years of production.

I've used mine for skiing at -10f and been almost too warm. Too bad the sucker is huge and weighs something like three pounds.