Gorge Ice

ryland_moore

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Blake, looking at that pic, did your calves hurt after ice climbing? If so, lower your heels, let the crampons do all of the work. I am still guilty of this, but it will improve your technique as well as save energy when you start getting on steeper lines. Way to get after it! You are hooked (no pun intended) now!

I'm just popping in here to say that John Frieh rocks for taking total newbs out on ice. He and Doug Hutchinson took me out on the Elliot a few months back, and it looks like he's still taking people out. That combined with drytool/climbing night, he's doing a hell of a lot for getting local climbers strong on ice/mixed thumbs_up.gif

Hey Blake, looking at that pic, did your calves hurt after ice climbing?

No, they didn't hurt. It is probably because I have superman-like calf endurance. (actually, more likely because I only climbed two routes.) Thanks for the tip, I didn't know what I was doing, but had fun and made it up anyways. (Guess that's what WI 2/3 is about)

I'm just popping in here to say that John Frieh rocks for taking total newbs out on ice.

Whatever... he still owed me for a Cinnamon Roll. cheeburga_ron.gif

And now it seems like the PDX drytooling has inspired an organized Seattle Dry-tooling thing as well, very cool.

Did the leader fall alseep during that film? booooring!

Mtnhigh broke his leg on the lower part of salmon run today. wish Pete a speedy recovery. glad i wasn't there!

Ice is melting! meeeelttting!

As for the drytooling, i believe that people were ice climbiing in the gorge between bouts of rocky butte tr's.

Well...this has become one of the most bloated threads of all time - a testament I guess to the awesome spell we've had!

But just in case its still used to post climbs, conditions, etc.:

Climbed two lines today approx. 1.1mi east of Angel's Rest parking TH. Dunno of any previous FA info, never seen 'em before so we call 'em: "Shark Attack", a 35m stellar WI4 with a grand turfing topout; and "Dog House"(?) is a fat 40m WI3 flow right next door. You can see 'em from the road, just hike 30min right up the drainage.

It's warming up...clock's ticking!

Yeah Marcus we had a rad turf, mud, verglased rock, snow top out on our morning outting on "Bent Screw". It is in sporty WI4 conditions as of 6:00 am this morning. The ice was deffinately warming up quick. The top out was extra special considering the last three screws that I placed I was able to PUSH them in about 1 1/2" without screwing them!! The "Column" and the route to the left of "Bent Screw" were purging large chunks and daggers while we were there. It was a special warm fuzzy morning before work. It will be hanging around for another couple of days. Get your 10cm and 13cm screws back on your rack! My partner Ty took some pics. Hopefully he will post them. A 70M rope will just get you back to the ground if you lower off the big tree up and right. Nice big chunck of 10mm rope around the tree to rap off of (already in place when I got up there). This stuff at Sheppard's Dell tends to be the last remaining ice when everything else has fallen down. Have fun!!

AFIVE- Looking smooth on Bent screw. We got on it early this afternoon but we saw you before we went to Crown. Gotta love the one swing placements!

The Jewel....FAT! Funny thing, we thought we were going to get slammed by wind on it this morning since we were getting knocked over on the 30 second approach, but the whole climb was in a pocket and virtually free of wind! Man that was good!

Thanks to everyone posting beta this week.

Nice heal spurs Goeff!