Chongo

olyclimber

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a cell line used in lab experiments called HeLa. It is immortal. It came from a woman named Henrietta Lacks in 1951 from a cervical cancer that killed her within 8 months of diagnosis. Part of her is alive in many places all over the world.

snaf.gif

Yeah? So? Has part of her climbed Everest? Any cell culture?

...I am just saying that people who are religious don't take the global view that you do. They don't really care about its benefits for society...

Ummmm.....yeah. Off the top of my head:

MLK Jr.

Mahatma Gandhi

Dr. Paul Brand

C. Everett Koop

Dali Lama

Leo Tolstoy

John Donne

Henri Nouwen

Mother Theresa

Oscar Romero

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sargent Shriver

Founders of: Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Northwest Medical Teams, Oxfam, etc.

I know a number of local people of faith who are pretty active in attempting to better society as well.

CBS, just as there are good people and bad people, there are good Christians and bad Christians.

Next time you say something stereotypical about Christians, think about it as if Mounties wee substituted in.

"All Christians think eoolution is crap."

"As an atheist, I get offended whenever Christians feel it is their duty to convert me."

vs

"All Mountaineers are overweight and wear shorts over polypro."

"As an independent climber, I get pissed that the Mounties are always clogging my routes."

CBS, just as there are good people and bad people, there are good Christians and bad Christians.

Next time you say something stereotypical about Christians, think about it as if Mounties wee substituted in.

"All Christians think eoolution is crap."

"As an atheist, I get offended whenever Christians feel it is their duty to convert me."

vs

"All Mountaineers are overweight and wear shorts over polypro."

"As an independent climber, I get pissed that the Mounties are always clogging my routes."

Who said Christian? I was dissing all religious people. tongue.gif

I was dissing all religious people. tongue.gif

Then you diss all people. For, indeed, all people have their own religion. The word "religion" is of the same root as "ligament". Both infer "tying" or "to be tied" to. Every person is tied to their own personal beliefs whether those beliefs concur with a billion other souls or no one.

Your belief, currently, supports dissing some of those who have beliefs contrary to your own and are ecclesiastical; I'm cool wit dat.

It's your thing

Do what you gotta do

I can't tell ya

What'cha got to do.

...love that tune

Way off topic, and I should stick to my original statement that Dwayner is full of crap and this is intentional thread drift for no apparent reason except to bolster some unknown self esteem issues he has: clicking the link by Dwayner shows these kind of stats and they only are discussing ...

"How many people died in all the wars, massacres, slaughters and oppressions of the Twentieth Century? Here are a few atrocitologists who have made estimates":

"Historical Atlas of the Twentieth Century, 2001):

* Deaths by War and Oppression:

o Genocide and Tyranny:

+ 83,000,000"

Gee, how many Jews were killed in that figure? Recent memory? I wonder. Hmmmm. They don't break out religious deaths. So NO JEWS killed by Christians. Nice. ! No Bosnian Muslims killed by Serbian Christians! Whhhooo Hoooo, we've eliminated religion as a stat in that kind of crap. Nice job Dwayner! Nice. Guess that supports your point. NOT!

All those Nazi's had NO Christian agenda. Nice bit of historical twisting there. I don't care if you do claim to be Jewish.

Why even go there on a thread about Chongo? I have no idea. None.

More people have died of old age than of war. So what? More people died of communisim than of naziism: so what? More people died of the flu in WW1 than died in the war: so what?

So friggan what? You're brilliant. NOT.

Feel better?

You attack on CBS sure supports that Chongo discussion.

NOT!

Your attack sure helps us learn about the world: NOT.

It sure helps us to put things in perspective: NOT.

Bill's point is that if you bother to track down Dwayner's references they don't support his assertion that religious beliefs are NOT behind a majority of killings in war and persecution. I made the original assertion and I pulled it straight out of my ass. If you consider that the pogroms of Stalin were not religiously motivated, then probably my argument goes down the drain. Stalin killed more people by far than any single monster in the history of mankind, including Hitler. frown.gif

Bill's point is that if you bother to track down Dwayner's references they don't support his assertion that religious beliefs are NOT behind a majority of killings in war and persecution. I made the original assertion and I pulled it straight out of my ass. If you consider that the pogroms of Stalin were not religiously motivated, then probably my argument goes down the drain. Stalin killed more people by far than any single monster in the history of mankind, including Hitler. frown.gif

Thank you the defense rests. Why even head that direction? Oh wait, that Muslim was killed by a Christian in self defense, lets count that one, but not this one........see....

Back to our regularly scheduled Chongo discourse.

Get your evil dictator trading cards and you too can have these statistics at your fingertips.

"I'll trade you two Idi Amins and one Sani Abacha for that Mao"

"No way man throw in a Bush Jr. or no deal"

Don't eat the gum that comes in the trading card pack though. It's Soylent Green flavour.