Chongo

olyclimber

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bush and Robertson etal are not good examples of religious people. One can systematically study the contradictions between their actions and the ones supported by the one they ostensibly follow.

Just curious...

How do their actions make them appear to follow "the one"?

What actions are supported by "the one" they "ostensibly" follow?

cantfocus.gif

"The One" being Jesus right? The cornerstone for any "born-again", like Bush. So, they both preach about Jesus and salvation, hence, the appearance of virtue and godliness.

My point was that they contradict the teachings of Jesus. I don't think it was "bomb thy neighbor" or "kill thine enemy" or "plunder thine enemies treasures" that Jesus was rapping about.

George Bush is a cold-blooded murderer, and how "christians" can't see that is entirely due to the fact that we as humans have the uncanny ability to justify the most gross-level hypocrisies because we would rather do that than have our worldview threatened.

• 2 weeks later...

As said by the birdcat:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending religion. I am just saying that people who are religious don't take the global view that you do. They don't really care about its benefits for society, but rather are driven by a desire for personal salvation. The need for religion is deeply selfish, just like the need to procreate.

thumbs_down.gif

Speak for your cynical self, cowboy. You are clearly holding forth on a subject about which you are little informed. Some of the best people who ever lived were self-sacrificing, altruistic and deeply religious. Some of the kindest and most generous and compassionate people I know today are "religious".

Lots of folks love to point fingers at the poor behavior of certain individuals who claim to subscribe to a certain religion, but the fact remains: the dubious antics of Jerry Falwell etc. are not representative of Christians in general nor does Osama Bin Laden represent Islam as a whole. Get some perspective, dude.

By the way, Free Chongo.

As said by the birdcat:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending religion. I am just saying that people who are religious don't take the global view that you do. They don't really care about its benefits for society, but rather are driven by a desire for personal salvation. The need for religion is deeply selfish, just like the need to procreate.

thumbs_down.gif

Speak for your cynical self, cowboy. You are clearly holding forth on a subject about which you are little informed. Some of the best people who ever lived were self-sacrificing, altruistic and deeply religious. Some of the kindest and most generous and compassionate people I know today are "religious".

Lots of folks love to point fingers at the poor behavior of certain individuals who claim to subscribe to a certain religion, but the fact remains: the dubious antics of Jerry Falwell etc. are not representative of Christians in general nor does Osama Bin Laden represent Islam as a whole. Get some perspective, dude.

By the way, Free Chongo.

My perspective is this. More people have lost their lives in war and murder because of religion than from any other cause. You can keep your religion.

My perspective is this. More people have lost their lives in war and murder because of religion than from any other cause.

Hey catbird:

Can you back up that tired cliché?

Here's a couple of sources for starters. Get your calculator out.

Deaths by Mass Unpleasantness: 20th Century

Selected Death Tolls for Wars, Massacres and Atrocities Before the 20th Century

Even one unjust death is unacceptable, but so are knee-jerk clichés.

Chongo IS free, Old Man.

Chongo just want to be free....free to go climbing without being hassled by The Man.

(And how old are you, little boy?)

It is YOU that is chained by limited perspectives.

One's perspectives are only limited if one has not considered the breadth of alternatives. Having reviewed the alternatives does not thereafter require accepting them all as equally valid.

051022-PA.jpg

I am just saying that people who are religious don't take the global view that you do. They don't really care about its benefits for society, but rather are driven by a desire for personal salvation. The need for religion is deeply selfish, just like the need to procreate.

Anything and everything you do is selfish.

Example, yes, the Gates may give billions away....but it makes them feel good. So that's why they do it.

Maybe there is not a heaven. At least I was part of a religion that thought and did some good things while I was alive.

It is YOU that is chained by limited perspectives.

One's perspectives are only limited if one has not considered the breadth of alternatives. Having reviewed the alternatives does not thereafter require accepting them all as equally valid.

That certainly shows how set in your ways you are. After all, you have already "reviewed the alternatives".

My hope is that if, when I get OLD LIKE YOU, I still will be open to others perspectives, NOT BITTER AND ANGRY ABOUT THINGS THAT HAVE CHANGED.

From 'The Art Of Peace':

Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead