Men over X

archenemy

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First rule of holes....

when your in one, stop digging!

ps... I bet my Math and Analytical GRE scores were better than yours Gary tongue.gifevils3d.giftongue.gif

BFD...those tests are roughly equivalent to the SAT math tests... rolleyes.gif

No Shit. So what did you score? tongue.gif

The analytical were at least moderately annoying though.

The SATs are meant to test the general population. Hence they do a poor job in testing the exceptional, as the variance in their scores comes not from ability but from carelessness.

There are many other tests that are more appropriate for those who excel at math. In high school, there is the AHSME -> AIME -> USAMO (-> IMO) series. Counties/states often hold their own math tournaments. ARML is a national math tournament were states and some private/magnet schools send their own teams. In college, there's the Putnam Exam.

Selkirk - the fact that you can remember those scores moves you right into the geek group! Go buy Gary a beer

Yes but i'm also married to a sort-of non-geek, will actually be done with school in another hour, and have a fabulous memory for absolutely useless shit!

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

So tell us minxy, what were your scored the_finger.gif

The SATs are meant to test the general population. Hence they do a poor job in testing the exceptional, as the variance in their scores comes not from ability but from carelessness.

There are many other tests that are more appropriate for those who excel at math. In high school, there is the AHSME -> AIME -> USAMO (-> IMO) series. Counties/states often hold their own math tournaments. ARML is a national math tournament were states and some private/magnet schools send their own teams. In college, there's the Putnam Exam.

yeah no shit dumb ass...that was my whole point, and the GRE's are in the same category...

obviously you are showing your "analytical" abilities...

i can't stand obnoxious academics who love to show how "smart" they are...go win the nobel prize or sumpin'

Oh, and obviously your brain can't handle stress/excitement/and keeping a hold of sumpin' simple like a water jug, huh?

evils3d.gif

Fuck, this thread has gotten weird. In the past five years, I don't think I've told anyone that I got X place at Y competition, that I scored X on Y test, etc. The only thing that I can think of is the National Geography Bee -- I was state champ of GA, and another CC.commer was state champ of his respective state. But the reason that I brought it up is my parents dug up the profiles of the competitors from back then, and it had pics of us when we were 12, with silly bios. Somehow all this shit is bursting out at once. Not sure why. Maybe it's the insecurity that someone else mentioned... insecure of my lack of results on a problem that may be too hard for a PhD?