Men over X

archenemy

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was retorting to Dru and RUMR, the point being that I'm picky, not that I'm trying to brag. If I were doing the latter, I could have said a lot of other stuff.

I'll laugh with a fellow mathlete! bigdrink.gif

bigdrink.gif to ya. but alas i've given up math for the warmer fuzzier sciences....and shopping. grin.gif

I've got a twisted curiosity about what Gary considers "being bad at math".

Math is hard wink.gif

The problem is that someone here noted that people tend to like folks with similar characteristics. So tall people like tall people, and short people like short people. In my case, I'm in the top 0.1% of the population for mathematical ability, so I tend to be picky.

So you don't like modest women?

....and shopping. grin.gif

I think I was in elementary or middle school when that Barbie came out, and I remember my mom, a mathematician, was furious. About the same time, my brother's teacher was suggesting a mnemonic for milli- -> kilo- that incorporated something about metrics being difficult or hard. Much letter writing ensued.

....and shopping. grin.gif

I think I was in elementary or middle school when that Barbie came out, and I remember my mom, a mathematician, was furious. About the same time, my brother's teacher was suggesting a mnemonic for milli- -> kilo- that incorporated something about metrics being difficult or hard. Much letter writing ensued.

yellaf.gif somehow i was spared exposure to that barbie. i'm sure my mother would've been horrified....however, she probably wouldn't have written a letter. i was busy cutting off barbies hair and launching her off the back deck into the shrubbery.

So you don't like modest women?

Modesty is irrelevant. In fact, I may get the opposite, where she says, "I am smart," and she may be, relative to her colleagues, but not to my colleagues.

Sigh, even the smart women are dumb relative to Gary's massive head! hahaha.gif

Until ChestBeater makes an appearance you're not in too deep Gary.

If math truly makes you happy go find a girl who feels the same... with that said I would encourage you to be willing to compromise in life and question your passion in math... is it really worth turning away another potential form of life long love? I doubt it. I can't even count how many single nerdy fawkers I encounter on a daily basis at work that made the mistake in college (or before that) to put their work/profession on the same level as their social life. Almost all of them are single.

I can't even count how many single nerdy fawkers I encounter on a daily basis at work that made the mistake in college (or before that) to put their work/profession on the same level as their social life.

rolleyes.gif Thank you dr. phil. And then their are the losers who put their social life above other factors in highg school/college/life and end up bitter losers. It's all about balance; find your own.

If math truly makes you happy go find a girl who feels the same... with that said I would encourage you to be willing to compromise in life and question your passion in math...

I agree with you. I have this archetypal woman in my mind who has mad math, artistic/musical, and culinary skills, has traveled the world, and is exceptionally fit and outdoorsy. There are few women who meet all these criteria, and at this point in time in my graduate studies, I don't feel I can share myself to the level that she would deserve. I have a hard time finding a good compromise, both on qualities I am looking for and how much of myself I can share.

Slack on your grad studies... in fact drag them out as long as you can without getting in trouble. It's a cruel harsh cold world that will never be able to match the amount of vacation you get a year in grad school (assuming you opt to lever your degree in the industry). cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif Doing so will allow you more free time to date. Or climb. Or both.

I should quit my job again hahaha.gif