Ice Climbing Accident / Guiness Gully / Field BC

jmckay

It would seem that a group from your neck of the woods had an accident on Guinness Gully in Field, B.C. late yesterday. Not a lot for details. Climbers from the Seattle rescue group what ever that means? The Park wardens received the call around 4:30 pm. To late for the standard heli-sling rescue so they hauled up a stretcher rope and what have you. Patient suffered minor injuries but of a nature that required immobilization. Patient on the way to Calgary 4:30 am and doing fine. Nobody dead if that puts minds at ease.

Edited by jmckay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was part of the party that had the accident. My partner is injured very badly, but is currently recieving excellent care.

I'm not going to post any more information at this point.

I'd appreciate it if everyone could send out their best wishes for this great guy.

cry.gif

Good to hear there was no fatality, hope your partner recovers, Fox. Was it a cc.commer? Somebody specific we can focus the good vibes on? I understand you may not be able to release a name yet if kin have not been notified.

Hopin' for a speedy snugtop.gif recovery.

The list of injuries are quite extensive. The same wardens who worked all night were called out of bed a few hours later to heli-sling a young man out of Haffner Creek in Kootney. Broken ankle, pretty minor compared to the night before. While they were waiting to chopper out the patient another climber decides to take advantage of the fact that the rescue service is there and takes a four meter whipper and decks. Fortunately he managed to get up , dust off and walk away. Thats enough for one year folks! Now stop doing that-!! (Sorry you will have to get out your calculators and translate 4 meters into whatever primitive length calculating system ancient cultures use)

Edited by jmckay

I was part of the party that had the accident. My partner is injured very badly, but is currently recieving excellent care.

I'm not going to post any more information at this point.

I'd appreciate it if everyone could send out their best wishes for this great guy.

cry.gif

i hope he has a speedy recovery. keep us posted when you can.

I am glad you are okay.

Thanks for the good wishes everybody. My partner (a cc.com reader, not a poster) is doing very well considering the injuries. He is very lucky to be alive.

I don't have the words to express my gratitude for the work of my other partner Dave Burdick (AlpineDave), the Lake Louise Fire Department (for lights) and the Canadian National Park wardens (a professional mountain rescue group) for their speedy response and phenomenal work in packaging and lowering my partner. Also a big thanks to whomever the folks were that climbed the route on Saturday and retrieved some of our gear and the warden's gear.

Just to be clear, Dave and I are 100% healthy.

Dave is writing up an accident report, some form of which will probably be posted here eventually.

Thanks again.

After the Haffner rescue the NP wardens flew over to retrieve the gear from the night before. Turns out that Boston rescue members of some sort had taken it upon themselves to haul all the equipment out. When the somewhat haggard wardens showed up expecting a half days hard labour they were surprised and gratefull to find that all thier equipment was down at the road.

1.jpg

Edited by jmckay