Ice Climbing Accident / Guiness Gully / Field BC

jmckay

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Sam. That's an incredible story. When Dave first posted the slides on his website, I was amazed to see the last few that showed you up & about, after seeing the ones that showed your train-wreck of a spine. As a paramedic for over 10 years, I can affirm that indeed, it was some seriously high-quality prehospital care that spared you your mobility. The tiniest bit of "Eh, who cares?" in a logroll, or the placement of the C-collar, or the application of the vacuum splint, could indeed have rendered you paralyzed or worse. Best wishes for a continued recovery with as little pain as possible.

Welcome home Sam!!! thumbs_up.gif

Reading your story brought back nearly the intensity of emotion of the initial event... thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed and open account of your experience. It's fantastic to have you and the menagerie back!

e

Sam, thanks for the post. I recently broke my back too. I would love to talk with you about your experiances so far. Later today I'm to talk with my doctor about my long term health.

I'm glad to hear how well it turned out for you. I only broke my T-11, shattered it really. I see now it could have been much worse.

I have the same feelings for those that transported me to the hospital too. They were all very professional and treated me ever so well.

PM me and we can trade personal info. Sounds like we will both have a lot of time on our hands for the next few months.

See my Broken Back post in the Fittness FORUM

• 9 years later...

Tonight is the 10 year anniversary of this accident.

I think of that night often and can pull up a flashbulb vision of Sam, caught briefly in my headlamp beam, pitching forward into the snowy dark whenever some random hint pokes the part of my brain where that dark cold night is stored.

The three of us exchanged texts and thank yous tonight. It was a terrible night, but it has bonded us as friends forever, and for that I'm thankful.

• 2 weeks later...