Touching the Void

alakso

A local gear shop showed the DVD "Touching the Void" last night at the local library. What a great movie! Scenery was awesome, and the story was very powerful! It's yet another example of the Indomitable Human Spirit. It also showed the importance of goal setting. In 1975 when I was at the Marine Corps Recruit depot at Parris Island, SC. I thought I'd never make it as I was the youngest kid there only 3 days past my 17th birthday. But I set goals that were sometimes as little as making it through the next minute. I succeeded and became a Marine Grunt! Never quit is my motto! This movie reminded me of the story of Jim Bridger who was mauled by a Grizzly and left to die but survived. Watching "Touching the Void" makes me want to climb even more! alakso thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have not read his books, Touching the Void and This Game of Ghosts, I highly recommend them. They are great stories of different times in Joe Simpson's life, the latter being less about climbing and more of how he ended up climbing. One great story I remember is when his sister dared him to ride a tricycle down about 100 stairs near his house. If memory serves, he was pretty young (~10yrs) and made it all the way to the last step and went head over handle bars and landed breaking his arm. The guy was a glutton for punishment, literally. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

• 3 weeks later...