Amen!

Peter_Puget

In all my years in politics, I've never sensed such anger and frustration from our volunteers -- those who do the hard work of door-to-door mobilization that Republican candidates depend on to get elected. Across the nation, wherever I go to speak with them, their refrain is the same: "I can't tell a dime's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats." Our base rightly expects Republicans to govern by the principles -- lower taxes, less government and more freedom -- that got them elected. Today, with Republicans controlling both the legislative and executive branches of the federal government, there is a widening credibility gap between their political rhetoric and their public policies.

Dick Armey, Wall Street Journal

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Those haven't been the "qualities" of the Republican party in years. The only one that possibly applies is "lower taxes", of course at the expense of fiscal stability and the future generations getting fucked for it.

They'll be some good solid Republican losses in next year's elections. Most encouraging is barring a large turnaround Rick SantMORON will be gone from Pennsylvania.

It just goes to show that even those who believe they are of a higher moral fabric can become drunk on their power.

Isn't it ironic that the group that has promised us more freedom is sytematically stripping it away? Lower taxes? Not neccesarily the answer to anything except "how do I get the vote of the average moron?" And oh yes, less government. Well, at least we agree on something.

Sounds like principles and empty campaign promises are kind of synonymous.

Speaking of campaigns, I see where dumbfuck, oops I mean dubya, is out trying to help raise funds for his fellow GOP'ers. With his current approval rating the best thing he may do to help is stay away! cool.gif

Lower Taxes? Hell Yea!

The evolution of the economy after 2000 was, of course, entirely different than after 1929, and we have previously attributed this to the aggressive easing of monetary policy that sustained a major boom in residential construction and in sales of consumer durables sufficient largely to offset the decline of investment in equipment and software. A second difference was the aggressive easing of fiscal policy in 2001-03 through a succession of reductions in Federal income tax rates, including the tax rates on capital gains and dividends. "

Link For Oly

As long as this credit card still works, I can keep on buying climbing gear. My son can pay the bills. My government taught be how. I like that new offer on a credit card offer I saw on TV yesterday...as long as you use the card to make a purchase, you don't have to make a payment! That and interest only mortgages = recipe for disaster. With the new difficulties in declaring bankruptcy engineered by the credit card companies , coupled with insidious marketing that basically starts when you are in the womb, the American way is looking better than ever. And we can't even count on tin foil hats these days.

Jim what would they have been if the recessison was significant?

Of coure your last comment avoids that issue. rolleyes.gif

So you argue a large deficit is a GOOD thing? This wasn't a case of deficit spending to facilitate an economic recovery. This was a case of a tax break that generated very little economic output due to the fat that it didn't actually reduce taxes to the segment of the population where additional spending is required to stimulate an economy. What, do you think millionaires suddenly decided to buy a second yacht because they got a tax refund? Oh, no, wait, the common masses obviously spent tons due to their whopping $230 tax break or whatever it amounted to.

You are so lost, PP. The way you continue to defend this bogus administration despite so much evidence of their failures is laughable at best.

I am curious, what do you do for a job, anyway?

I'll take tax and spend over borrow and spend any day of the week. Especially since the brilliant economists of GWB didn't see the rise in interest rates, which by the way are due in large part because of their moronic fiscal policies.

I'm not opposed to lowering tax rates as long as 1) it is done equitibaly and 2) they don't jeopordize the future fiscal health of our nation.

lower taxes, less government and more freedom

Lower taxes. Yes.

But less government? No way. Check out the national debt and how it balloons during "republican" times such as Reagan, Newt Gringrich, and currently.

Less government means less spending. And the current republicans sure do not know how to spend less.

Republican ideals are in a qualm of hypocrisy these days.

Jim what would they have been if the recessison was significant?

Of coure your last comment avoids that issue. rolleyes.gif

This was a case of a tax break that generated very little economic output due to the fat that it didn't actually reduce taxes to the segment of the population where additional spending is required to stimulate an economy.

This is yet another case where supply-side economics comes at a heavy cost.