Anybody else with achilles problems?

Chad_A

Never ruptured one, but my right achilles started acting up after a year of trouble free hiking and running.

Strangely enough, on uphill terrain, it's fine. It's the downhill that causes a strong, dull ache that shoots through the achilles area. I'm wondering of a bone spur has formed that pinches the the achilles when the toes are pointed downward? Anybody else had any experience with this?

This whole thing makes me nervous; I understand that the achilles doesn't give a whole lot of warning before it snaps. By the way, there's no swelling, redness, or malformation of the tendon.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mine bothered me mostly on flat stretches. it arose from the fucked up gait of snowshoing; too many trips in one week; and never stretching. it took me over a year to recover fully. but it never took me out of the weekend game, and it helped when i switched to skis.

gentle stretches daily! take it easy & don't let it

become chronic!

i fumbled through my recovery alongside 2 other climbers who had the same complaints. i always pick good role models you know smirk.gif take advantage of what your physiotherapist will tell you on the matter. you might get sorted out a lot quicker than i did. any slow stretching involving the hams helped me - don't bounce those ham stretches. your PT can tell you how soon/how much you should be stretching & cutting back on the training. good luck!

i've got some minor problems of my own right now, after a small wipe out on my dirt bike yesteday. onlookers cried with alarm "did you scratch the bike?"

• 3 weeks later...