Truck ads...

JoshK

Truck ads have traditionally shown "tough" guys using their trucks for various construction or dirt-related activities.

I just saw a Ford ad that asked "How tough does your truck make you?" and then there is the Chevy ad with Howie Long where he convinces "Jerry" to bypass road contruction by driving his truck off road.

So, I ask...does this seem like advertising geared towards people using their trucks for work or a new push to sell trucks to insecure suburbanites looking to be more "tough", a la SUV ads?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been watching much TV for a while, so I can't comment on adds. I did buy a big ol pickup last year. Most of the trucks you see for sale on the lots have leather seats and fancy sound systems. Nobody who's actually going to use a truck for work would want any of those things.

I had to special order a plain pickup because the dealer said he finds those harder to sell. I figure most of the trucks on the lot go to folks who want to tow a boat or move big things (that aren't too dirty) around.

I suspect some truck owners feel the need for a macho boost subconciously. Most don't get enough exercize and enjoy the sense of flexing some muscle even if only with their vehicle; humorous, but true.

But, it's also a cultural affect in some areas. Young folks (male & female) who have grown in families owning livestock want their own truck, then their own horse-trailer. In the material world (so Madonna tells me) people want the nicest goods they can own, ergo, the Cowboy Cadillacs.

Many construction workers own trucks by necessity, which is my story.

Most of the trucks you see for sale on the lots have leather seats and fancy sound systems. Nobody who's actually going to use a truck for work would want any of those things.
I guess I'm an exception. Since I spend a lot of time in my truck (125,000 miles in barely three years) I afford myself the luxury: Bose sound system (music is important to me), heated leather seats, climate-control, voice-activated phone system, etc. I drive in excess of fifty miles of dirt road every day of work and a total of 125 miles (min) every day of work. I buy eight all-terrain 10-ply tires every year. I chain up the front wheels at least twenty times each winter and all four wheels at least six times. I've lived eleven miles from payment for over twenty-three years. They made those fancy trucks just for me.

Besides, I have a very small penis.

The last two truck ads that bugged me were:

A billboard that showed a woman loading groceries into one of those huge trucks that the front and back doors open wide (away from each other) and she was all smiling and shit. The tagline was something about Ford making a man unnecessary. Patently offensive and degrading.

The second is a recent one in a magazine that shows a clean truck out in the middle of nowhere and the tagline is something like "Because your soul isn't anywhere near pavement". Uh, yeah, as a matter of fact it's not anywhere near my fuckin truck either.

The consistent messaging telling people that material goods are more valuable than people, spirituality, etc, is sad.

ah yes, this from the man who is posting on the big truck thread only days after starting the hybrid car thread.

Unless someone swiped my password I haven't posted any hybrid car thread - I haven't posted here in a week and a half, I was off wandering the antipodes. I like my cars cheap and reliable and to spend money on much more interesting things like surfing, skiing, climbing and travel.