Stopping Junk Mail

EWolfe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the post office is required to break even, so maybe they decrease the cost of letters on purpose and increase the cost of packages. that would help all the junk mail companies and private competitors fedex and ups. sorry, conspiracy theory. might not be too far from the truth. bulk rate, you can mail letters from LA to NY for dirt cheap. if letters cost more that would cut down on junk mail for sure.

One thing I noticed almost overnight is a huge spike in the amount of junk mail from outdoorsy and environmental campaigns, like 4 LBS of it. I suspect there's a single source for that one madgo_ron.gif

Me too, madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif I wonder what's going on.

Thanks Oly, I deal with it tomarow. Years ago I sent something in to the Direct Marketing Asc. Worked for about 4 or 5 years, then slowly it came back.

the post office is required to break even, so maybe they decrease the cost of letters on purpose and increase the cost of packages. that would help all the junk mail companies and private competitors fedex and ups. sorry, conspiracy theory. might not be too far from the truth. bulk rate, you can mail letters from LA to NY for dirt cheap. if letters cost more that would cut down on junk mail for sure.

This isn't how the USPS works. They fundamentally aren't interested in cutting down on so-called junk mail, because they make a ton of money off it every year.

what i meant was that maybe somebody in the higher ranks of USPS deliberately keeps the bulk rates really low because of special interests of direct mailers. it's just a random thought, i haven't read anything to back up that theory. maybe somebody else has?

If you mean that there's some kind of secret collusion going on between USPS higher-ups and direct mailers, then no. It's totally out in the open. The USPS promotes direct mail marketing because it's probably their most profitable revenue stream.

The USPS does not really promote direct mail marketing. It is actually a pain in the ass to go through the process of opening an account, obtaining an indicia, renting a Pitney Bose, and following the many rules of bulk mailing.

I have had the same experience of going through the process to opt out and have it work really well. Over the years, my junk mail has increased. I am going to follow the obviously.com site instructions to "renew" my opt out.

I had a neighbor in Idaho with a great sense of humor. He built a cool mail box and stenciled "Regular Mail" on the side. He then built a mail box that he stenciled "Air Mail" on the box and put it on a super tall poll over the first mail box. One night, I stenciled "Junk Mail" on an old metal trash can and put it out next to his cute mail boxs. I was drunk, but hey, it was funny anyway.

Junk mail sux.

The USPS does not really promote direct mail marketing. It is actually a pain in the ass to go through the process of opening an account, obtaining an indicia, renting a Pitney Bose, and following the many rules of bulk mailing.

whatever. The USPS sends me stuff all the time promoting the different options available to dm marketers. And opening a standard mail account is just about the easiest thing you can do as long as you've got $150 for the annual fee..."obtaining an indicia" is just putting your permit # etc in a box...as for the many rules of standard mail, that's what the mailing house is for....yes, you too can be a direct mail marketer!

Whatever.

It was a pain in the ass for the corporation I worked for. Nonetheless, I stated that it wasn't really promoted all that much; i.e. there aren't commercials aired for it, there aren't full page ads taken out in the newspaper, etc. Obviously people who work in the field or who are connected with marketing are going to recieve info about it.

And I don't mean to sound like I am suporting or defending the USPS. I really don't give a shit. I take the steps not to get too much junk mail; and it sounds like you are interested in the same goal I am. But whatever.