IT-band-like syndrome

OlegV

OK, I injured myself cry.gif. After about 3-week break in trail running, I started too hard, and as a result, my knee isn’t cooperating with me any more. After about 30 min of running, my knee experiences sharp pain, primarily on decline. The pain is similar to the IT-band syndrome, but I suspect it has different origin. I would describe it as very localized sharp sensation in the lower outer part of the kneecap. If I continue exercise, pain irradiates in the lower outer part of my leg - all the way down to my ankle. Curiously, when I hike up or down or ski, there is no pain. It is somehow coupled to pounding on a trail. I tried to take an active break for a couple of weeks, and than returned to running, so did my pain! Anybody? Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried isolated knee exercises. A friend of mine is on the ski patrol with me and is a physical therapist. She showed me some good ones (showed being the operative word there) involving a tennis ball and leg extensions.

I was advised that strengthening the muscles that surround your knee COULD help. It worked for me, however I'd be curious if you were able to seek medical attention?