calling out to fellow splitboarders...

daveheinbach

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swapped a Ride 163 that was cut with the Voile kit, with my buddy Larry, for a bike frame. All the times he and I went out back east I would either be slogging or have snowshoes, and both suck. Hell, one time I used my nordic gear to get to the hill. Talk about redundancy!

I just moved here last winter, so I haven't used the stuff yet. I got out on some alpine adventures though, dug a few pits, been learning what I can, and this winter I'm taking the Level I course with Gary Brill. So I'm excited to start putting the info to use out there.

After bailing on Stuarts' Ice cliff glacier due to hazardous conditions, and then having it come down that evening, I'm also excited about playing it pretty dang safe, so I never ever have to use that fancy barryvox, or the Avalung.

rockband.gif <--- I just like this gremlin!

Splitboarding is definitely the only way to log any miles if you are a snowboarder. Skinning is fantastically more efficient and graceful than slowshoeing, but requires a little more finesse. It'll take some time before you can keep up with seasoned backcountry skiers, but once you can, it's great. You might consider getting a factory splitboard with full metal edges, unless all of your backcountry days are in fresh powder (we can dream...).

Have you been out to the Artist's Point/Table Mtn/Coleman Pinnacle area (from Mt Baker Ski Area upper lodge)? It's impossible not to meet other backcountry folks up there. Just be especially careful of the north-facing aspects if the snow is unstable.

So one thing I've always wondered about splitboards is.. .when you're touring in ski-mode (if that's what ya call it), how is it (are they) for going down short little hills while you're on the mostly-uphill part of the day?? can you ski downhill short stretches with them 1/2 boards? And how are the climbing attachments? work pretty good for steep climbs?

I've always been skeptical of all the above.

No splitboard plans for myself ... but a friend of mine who's an inbound-snowboarder is .... thinking of either getting a splitboard or AT skis!!! And I'm telling him he should go with the skis, partially cuz of this.

Am esp. interested in hearing from those who have done splitboarding and also AT skiing.

Can anyone give me an idea how much does an average splitboard setup cost and is there anywhere to pick up one used or have they not been out long enough? And to echo the previous question, how well do they handle for the approach compared to AT or Randonnee? Any particular drawbacks? I'm very intrigued by the idea because I don't wanna have to go revert to skiing for backcountry adventures.

Edited by thin_air_aaron

Double E

Although I think your shitty attitude towards snowboarding is completely misplaced, the_finger.gif I'll give you my opinion...

In short, skiing downhill in split mode sucks. I use a stiff "soft" boot and a strap binding w/carbon fiber high backs and still do not have enough forward lean to make controled turns while skinning. This might be improved slightly by using a "hard" snowboard boot but from my understanding not much and I find the stance necessary to run plate bindings limiting. (can't ride switch, landings not as stable, etc.) I do have skiing history and found that I can control short decents by snowplowing, although it is strenuous to hold.

By "climbing attachments" are you refering to the heel risers? If so they work fine once you learn how to flip them with a pole, they come pretty stiff and take some breaking in. As for the ability to climb, the large surface area on the skins allows you to climb as steep (if not more so) as skiers. The only real difficulty is sidehilling on hardpack or crust, and I hear those ski crampon thingies work alright but I haven't tried them, I just boot it or go snowmobiling. evils3d.gif

Aaron-

Voille boards run $750 and $800, Prior $930, and Burton right about $900.

Second Ascent in Ballard has used ones (and rentals!) but they get snatched up pretty quick. You might also try splitboard.com, I've seen some reasonable prices there as well.

I was a long time skeptic of the whole deal for quite a few years but the snowshoeing really started to get limiting so I finally rented one. Needless to say I ordered a Voile 173 when I returned it... I don't love the shape, it's heavy, and too soft for my liking but in the last three seasons my resort board sits unused and the split goes out every weekend.

- bigdrink.gif

After seeing ASHW skinning uphill and skiing downhill on his board the other day, I suppose there are drawbacks to both the plastic boots with plate bindings and the soft boots with regular bindings. Either way, at least snowboarders can go uphill and traverse now and even break trail with their board.

Also glad to hear the canyon is in. I might have to make a trip up there after another thumbs_up.gifsweet freeze and snowfall. This winter has been great!

So one thing I've always wondered about splitboards is.. .when you're touring in ski-mode (if that's what ya call it), how is it (are they) for going down short little hills while you're on the mostly-uphill part of the day?? can you ski downhill short stretches with them 1/2 boards? And how are the climbing attachments? work pretty good for steep climbs?

If you can ski, they work fine for short stretches as skis. The width means they kind of suck on firm snow, but it's not too much trouble. I've split-skied many miles of narrow trail on descents - it works. In deep soft snow, they actually ski pretty well.

Uphill:

In you're in powder, they are superior to skis as a climbing tool. On firm snow, they pretty much suck if you're trying to side-hill.

I picked up a Never Summer split last year and have done a much touring as I possible could. I prefer PMB's over snowboard boots and recommend that set up with strap bindings. The PMB's are great for the skin up and work well with crampons or kicking steps. Kicking steps in firm snow just does not work with soft boots. On the descent hard boots take alittle getting used to. They are great at highspeed and with jump turns but are harder to ride at slow speeds.

I have never been a skier so my 1st tour was interesting to say the least. I am quite comfortable going down hills now or in rolling terrain but it took a few trips and more falls then I like to admit.

Check out www.splitboard.com for some more info.

If you can ski, they work fine for short stretches as skis. The width means they kind of suck on firm snow, but it's not too much trouble. I've split-skied many miles of narrow trail on descents - it works. In deep soft snow, they actually ski pretty well.

What boot/binding set up are you using? Do you adjust your forward lean differently for skinning and skiing? skins on or off?

I agree, it works for short stretches, particularly if it's mellow and you can just straight line but I wouldn't say it works "well"... perhaps my skills are rusty...

- bigdrink.gif

Ok, ok...I s'pose I'll chime in too.

Pretty much second what Phil and Slappy said, though "skiing" the split halfs can be a terrifying experience on your first attempt - it does get easier with practice. It is also a necessary skill to expedite those many miles of snowy logging roads...and knowing how to snowplow is KEY to surviving the short steep bits.

AT boots and plate bindings are preferred on longer tours and/or those involving difficult or variable terrain...better edge control, step kicking, skinning, less fatigue etc. Yeh, if you prefer softies and staps like me, they're kinda funky for the ride down, but you can dial em in a bit to simulate a soft-like feel (I keep the back foot loose (fwd lean) and crank-down the front). Any cheap-o AT boot will do really; no need to splurge on high-end ski boots only to ride sideways.

Given the choice, and when conditions warrant, however, I prefer to just use the softies and straps...typically mid-winter day-trips, when there's nothing but deep fluff everywhere. No AT boot/plate binding will ever come close to that forgiving yet controlled soft/strap feel IMO.

Oh, and the '73 is too long and handles like a damn Caddy...especially on low-angled terrain and in the trees. Unless you're like 6'5" and weigh 250lbs, the '66 will do you fine...just set the stance waay back.

...and what's the deal with Burton's '06 splits? Looks like they've deferred the mounting system to Voile (split kit), but do they honestly expect you to start drilling holes in an $800 blank?