ThanksGivin was Fucked

bigwalling

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We said grace before the meal last night. I'm not religious, but I did not find it offensive -- in fact I thought it was well-said. Our grace was a nondenomational thanks for the food, friends, family, and a reminder that there are folks out there less fortunate than us.

As for mashed potatoes, nothing beats the mashed potato volcano! The gravy last night was thick and smoky.

Bigwalling, it sounds to me that your attitude toward your family is contributing to the problem. I hope one day you will have some people you will be happy to call family.

BigW:

Whether you quit climbing, join the Moonies or the marines, or find yourself a millionaire or street-person, those people you complain about will still be your family. Your buddies you could have spent the day with, burning bowls or whatever, may or may not be with you ten years from now. I’m not belittling the challenges of being obligated to spend a day with, and forced to interact with, people who are hard to be around – we all feel that – but stick with it. It’s worth it, no matter how weird they are.

-Sappy old man.

Yes, no, maybe..........an alternate point of view:

I swore years ago to never be a slave to family for the sake of family. Those relatives with whom I have some common ground beyond genetics I've spent many a good time with. Those with whom I share no common ground I rarely see. None of us has to spend holidays or days off fidgeting uncomfortably in the company of people who've seen plenty of one another after the first five or ten minutes. It's not for everyone but it works for me.

Yes, no, maybe..........an alternate point of view:

I swore years ago to never be a slave to family for the sake of family. Those relatives with whom I have some common ground beyond genetics I've spent many a good time with. Those with whom I share no common ground I rarely see. None of us has to spend holidays or days off fidgeting uncomfortably in the company of people who've seen plenty of one another after the first five or ten minutes. It's not for everyone but it works for me.

as i have no sibblings i tend to agree with this point of view. i have close friends that i have known for up to 20 years. they are my family. some people don't have genetic families they can tolerate. when that is the case you create a family that you love and who love you. it is not about blood, it is about love.

bigwalling- I understand that family can be weird. I've come to figure out that it's probably because I don't spend much time with them, and I don't have much in common with them, anymore.

At any rate, I was bummed this year when my g/f flew home to be with her family on Thanksgiving. Then, I got called into work, to dialyze a patient in an ICU. All the sudden, things weren't so bad for me. I went home after that, smiled at my empty house, and had a brew...at least I have my health bigdrink.gif

BigW:

Whether you quit climbing, join the Moonies or the marines, or find yourself a millionaire or street-person, those people you complain about will still be your family. Your buddies you could have spent the day with, burning bowls or whatever, may or may not be with you ten years from now. I’m not belittling the challenges of being obligated to spend a day with, and forced to interact with, people who are hard to be around – we all feel that – but stick with it. It’s worth it, no matter how weird they are.

-Sappy old man.

wow, for once I agree completely with MattP on something. Must be becoming a sappy old man myself.

I agree that you can't pick (or get rid of) your relatives. However you shouldn't feel like you have to spend a lot of time with them.

I just went to a family reunion with a bunch of folks from my moms side of the family. Some of them are religious wackos who would try and convert you. Fortunately the get together was only for lunch, so I was able to keep the conversations I got into light and noncontroversial, however I dread the thought of a get together of more than 2 hours or more than once every 5 to 10 years.