Need help and advice:

billcoe

I'm planning on buying a pair of new (thats "brand new") ski boots soon for downhill. Going high end full $. This is a big departure for me as the current pair I own are the most expensive I've ever purchased at $100. The last pair were $15.

Where in the pdx area do you recommend I go to get them.

Looking for a good knowlege-selection- pricing matrix. I've had good results at US Outdoor - but just saw another post from someone dissing them.

Advice for downhill ski boots? I'll get the best ones for me, that fit well, but where do you recommend going?

Bill

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the vote for The Mountain Shop. I have gone to US Outdoor for many purchases but for skis I'd stick with TMS.. Although you could always find out exactly what you want/need at a place like TMS then go online and find that exact set-up for much cheaper... Be wise - dont pay full price unless you absolutely have to. yoda.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Although you could always find out exactly what you want/need at a place like TMS then go online and find that exact set-up for much cheaper... Be wise - dont pay full price unless you absolutely have to. yoda.gif

This is a good way to make sure that there won't be any good shops around. If you want all shops to be REI, or Sierra Trading Post, go this route. But I suggest supporting the local shop, especially if they give you the info that will make you confident in the purchase. I work at The Mountain Shop, so maybe I'm biased. But my opinon is that we have the most experienced staff in Portland, and definitely the most complete backcountry ski selection.

On top of that, we guarantee our boot fits (both ski and hiking boots) If you bought a boot elsewhere, and needed help to get it to fit, it would be $40/hour to fit. We do this for free for our customers who purchase from us and sport us.

Sorry for the rant, but we often help customers for an hour or two and lose them to websites. I won't go as far as saying that you are stealing by getting advice from a shop, then purchasing elsewhere, but there is a bit of an obligation, I feel.

Good luck finding boots! Definitely come in and talk to us at the Mountain Shop. I can't help you with alpine boots, but I can help you with the Garmont Adrenaline (an AT boot that will fit into alpine bindings and AT bindings)

rockband.gif

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the recommendations for the Mountain Shop. I got a pair of Dynafit boots and bindings there a few years ago. They spent a bunch of time helping me with the purchase and did a great job fitting the boots. If you want to save some serious $, go during their pajama sale (you have to wait until February). I got the gear for something like 30% off. It made up for having to wear a pair of PJs into the store!