Recommendations: Ice tools for a 2nd season female

jesselillis

The quarks are dynamite. I can't think of a situation where I would rather have aztars.

Isn't the pick angle not as steep on the Aztars and therefore aren't they a more general purpose mountaineering ice tool where the Quarks are pure WI? I haven't tried either but am interested in them....thoughts

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats the marketing pitch. In reality the Aztars are shorter (by 2cm, which results in less efficient climbing) and just dont compare to Quarks for water ice. I just got the pinky guard for my wifes Quarks and while they sometimes get in the way on real technical ice (we've found while leading a hard 4), they overall verdict is good and they are a nice addition for mixed terrain like Hafner, where alot of people are now climbing on completely leashless standard Quarks with pinky guard rather than the ergo tools.

I was under the impression that the Quark and the Aztar have the same length of 50 cm.

(Okay - I'm not denying the fact that the quarks are much better on technical ice and

mixed routes than the aztars smile.gif ).

I don't have years of experience on ice, but I do own a pair of quarks.

I like to climb leashless with the pinkies on the handles. Helps to rest my hands

easily. I tried the ergos a few times, and found them quite similar to the quarks.

Except that the ergos make it a little easier to hang on to, especially when

placing/removing screws or other pro.

I have small palms, and hence pump out fast when using cobras frown.gif.

They are exactly the same length - I have a pair of each. However, I have heard people claim that the aztars are shorter before, and wonder if petzl made them that way originally and changed the design slightly later.

Ah that might be then, when I tried them it was (what March 2004?) and I was with the famous genepires, who had gotten his mitts on some to mess around with.