[TR] Colchuck peak- colchuck glacier route 11/20/2005

genepires

Climb: Colchuck peak-colchuck glacier route

Date of Climb: 11/20/2005

Trip Report:

Our first great weather weekend in seemingly months and the temp inversion is extreme. 12K freezing levels? Can't let this weather window slip away so we plan a nontechnical summit in the cascades. The enchantments have always provided good winter endevours.

In contrast to the usual "car to car" trips that usually get reported in tis area, we drag along overnight gear so that we can enjoy the scenery. Craig, Bill and I spent saturday driving in and above the fog. (which strangely enough was much thicker on the east side) We were able to drive all the way to the trailhead. (barely in Bill's little ford) Excellant bootpacks all the way to the far side of the lake. We set up our camp on the frozen shore. The lake is not thickly frozen yet, only a little glazing over. Ate lots of food and went to bed at a ridiculous hour of 7PM.

After a hard to start morning, we started up the snow slopes to the "glacier" Started out with snowshoes but found that the going was easy without. The glacier was in the shade and therefore quite cold but made for good snow conditions. At the saddle, the sun was a very welcome sight. We kept wondering what happened to this inversion. At the summit, it was apparent that the inversion was in full affect as it was toasty. I bet the west ridge of prussik would be real fun right now. The descent was nice (but bumpy ride) and quick.

Was a very nice day in the mountians and there was no one else out there. Was rather surprised by the solitude. The north facing sides are staying cold even with this crazy inversion. Minimal avi hazard. Get after it before the next snow comes in.

I got pictures but will try downloading it tommorow.

Gear Notes:

cold weather gear.

maybe snowshoes but could do without.

Approach Notes:

great bootpack to lake

firm snow to summit

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John- of course I got photo of stuart, just for you. I also got someof that couliour on colchuck I was telling you about. When I figure out how to shrink photo down and post I will do it. Hopefully tonight.

The snow is shallow at the lake. And maybe a foot above the ice up higher. Lots of rocks sticking out on the moraine. summit is mostly snow free. Saddle area is mostly snow.

gotta run to work. ug

gene

Click on the "image" link under "Instant UBB Code" which you will find on the same page which you make a post. Then go to the gallery (use another browser), find the picture you want, open it, right click, select "properties", copy the url and paste it into the "image" box that will pop up after you click the "image" link in your post.

Nice pic of Stuart:

925IMG_8105-med.jpg