Bring back Dwayner. Bring back the fun.

pope

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm kinda wondering:

(1) Before someone gets banned, do they get ample warnings thereof? I'm assuming they usually do, but are there some incidents where like a mod is having a shitty day and reads someone's post which just angers them soooo goddam much that they just decide, unilaterally, that it's the last straw, and the sprayer has to be banned?

(2) Do bannings ever happen unilaterally, period? Or does such an action have be decided by a plurality of moderators? And are they supposed to try to get the signoff/approval of King Jon or perhaps King Yoda?

I mean, it's really none of my business, cause it is a private website, yadda yadda, blah blah. True. Agreed.

Just curious tho.

To it's credit, this site seems to be more tolerant of off-color stuff than just about any other site I've spent much time on. Which is why I like it so much. But still..... I say delete posts, delete threads, lock threads, whatever ... but don't delete people. I can think of one, and only one, sprayer that I personally would have deleted.

wazzup.gifthe_finger.gifbigdrink.gif

In a way, this is not a strictly a private site. I am sure there are many of us who contribute some funds to this site. That is kind of like buying stock. And there are moderators, they are sort of like a board of directors. The site allows anyone to come sign up, somewhat like trial customers. So I am not really buying into this whole "private site" bullshit.

Brillant retort. Thank you.

I wasn't talking to you, foo'. rolleyes.gif

In a way, this is not a strictly a private site. I am sure there are many of us who contribute some funds to this site. That is kind of like buying stock. And there are moderators, they are sort of like a board of directors. The site allows anyone to come sign up, somewhat like trial customers. So I am not really buying into this whole "private site" bullshit.

Glad you brought that up, actually. Cuz I've been wondering, why, after finally contributing some bucks a few months ago, I still can't choose my own title. Did I not give enuf? Or was that a limited time promotion or somethin, limiting title-choosing to only paying members?

Can't find it in the FAQ now.

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

You drunk tonight? This is some funny shit. "I contributed so I own part of this site."

Go do a Whois... see your name there?

What I'm kinda wondering:

(1) Before someone gets banned, do they get ample warnings thereof? I'm assuming they usually do, but are there some incidents where like a mod is having a shitty day and reads someone's post which just angers them soooo goddam much that they just decide, unilaterally, that it's the last straw, and the sprayer has to be banned?

(2) Do bannings ever happen unilaterally, period? Or does such an action have be decided by a plurality of moderators? And are they supposed to try to get the signoff/approval of King Jon or perhaps King Yoda?

I mean, it's really none of my business, cause it is a private website, yadda yadda, blah blah. True. Agreed.

Just curious tho.

To it's credit, this site seems to be more tolerant of off-color stuff than just about any other site I've spent much time on. Which is why I like it so much. But still..... I say delete posts, delete threads, lock threads, whatever ... but don't delete people. I can think of one, and only one, sprayer that I personally would have deleted.

wazzup.gifthe_finger.gifbigdrink.gif

An anecdote may illustrate how completely random the banning process can be. This incident was recounted to me first-hand by a novice participant who had only contributed a small number of posts when he received a PM from a moderator who admonished, "Don't spray in the rock climbing forum." He replied politely with, "F_ck you!" and was promptly banned! Banned for a private message! The lesson here is that moderators are proud individuals who take their priveleged positions seriously. In the case of Dwayner, his only crime was not recognizing that all criticism of rampant bolting and sport climbing should be confined to SPRAY and.....AND....that even in the SPRAY forum one must be careful not to appear more clever than the moderators of this sacred web-space.