oh god not more AT setup questions

counterfeitfake

At least I think I know what I want.

In the summer time I decided I was going to get a pair of K2 Shuksans and mount Dynafit bindings on them. I got a used pair of bindings, and managed to pick up a new pair of skis real cheap. They're 181s, which I think might be a little longer than ideal (but the price was great!).

So now that I am about to put my setup together... my question is, do you think I'm going to regret mounting the binding on these skis? I am 6'2" tall, weigh 155 lbs. I'm a pretty solid alpine skier on my cheap old Salomon 196ers, but I've been thinking lately they might be a little too long too. Do I want to come up with a shorter pair of Shuksans?

Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that seems a little long for your weight but it also depends on the side cut. The Shukans a couple years ago were slimmer so longer might be okay with those. nowadays the Shuksans are fat, so you don't need as long of a ski for the same floatation. I have the old model Shuksans in a 185 cm but I weigh 215 lbs with out gear. That length is good for me. You own them now though so I don't guess it matters.

PS - you asked for "any opinion" not the correct one

I am 155 - 160 pounds, 5'-10", and I use the new fat Shuksans in a 174 cm length, which seems just right. The longer length is probably OK too, especially on long trips with a bigger pack. I used to ski 180's when I had less fat skiis.

Make sure you like your boots a lot before you mount the Dynafits. Try the boots on a rental ski if you have to. Once the bindings are mounted you may find that you will not be able to remount them to fit a slightly differrent boot, because the new holes would be too close to the old holes! Unless you have the "comfort" Dynafit bindings, which adjust to fit several boot sizes, this can be a real problem. If you love dynafit bindings, as I do, start by finding the right boots, then mount your bindings to the ski. Take your time finding the right size boot if you care about downhill performance.

Don't get shells that are too small. Fiddle with the buckle adjustments until they are just right, but not over tight. Most boots can be adjusted to be comfortable on the uphills, but there is a wide range in performance on the downhill, based on fit and boot design. The moral is, go to a good shop, spend a lot of time getting the right size boot, take it home and wear it around the house (you can do this before cooking the thermofit liners). If you still like your boots you can try them out with rental back country skiis. You might want to thermofit them now. You'll learn more if you ski inbounds, riding lifts all day. Try skinning up the hill a few times too, but concentrate on skiing lots of downhill runs until your feet swell up and the liners pack out a bit. At this point you've bought the boots, but if you don't like them you have at least avoided drilling holes in the wrong place on your skiis. If the boots still feel good it's time to get your dynafits mounted to match the boots. cantfocus.gif

Edited by Nick

Well, last weekend I went ahead and bought a pair of Garmont Mega-Lites because... y'know, I liked the color. Got the bindings mounted too. I'm sure this was all good advice and if I'd seen it in time I would have listened to it. But for now I've got what I've got, it seems good to me so we'll see how it goes.

Pro Ski on Aurora is a great shop, I recommend them highly to anyone, they took good care of me.

My stick is always handy.

I used the new setup both days last weekend, at Crystan and Stevens, and I have to say it was AWESOME. The boots don't feel much wimpier than my alpines, the skis were really nice and easy to turn, and the whole ski/boot/binding combo was so light it felt like driving a sports car compared to the SUV of my alpine setup. And even at a resort the walk mode is a nice bonus for clunking around the cafeteria and the parking lot.

The Dynafits take a little more effort than alpine step-ins, but it'll certainly be worth it for the reduced weight in the backcountry.