commuting

olyclimber

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dundee neighborhood to BTMS:

4 to 5 minute walk, depending on what's coming out of my iPod.

Oh, wait...you said "longest commute".

Never mind.

Scott, did anyone mention we all hate you? the_finger.gif

No you don't.

wave.gif

Wait...maybe you do...

But you shouldn't. See, there's this dog that always barks at me and it's one of those annoying little yippy dogs and I have this killer view when the sun rises over the Cascade range and there are hundreds of ravens all flying in the same direction (NE), wave after wave of them and I can never seem to get though all of The Thrill Is Gone (live 1969 version), no matter how slow I walk and...

When I'm one of those really old guys from whom people ask sage advice or the secret to my longevity or something, it's going to be "Live close to where you work or work close to where you live."

Mouth of the stehekin river at the head of Lake Chelan, to Stehekin power house, by bike, seven days a week. three miles. about 16-17 minutes headd up hill, about 12-13 miles coming down. Longer in snow. Nice views of Tupshin and Mcgregor, about seven park rigs pass me every day. they oughta get a bike. Sometimes I like to canoe accross the river, bush over to the river trail, and run up the trail to the plant. That takes a half hour, then about 23 minutes if I run the road back home. Almost time to put the studded tires on the bike. When the road is snow covered consistently, skate skiing is about the same as running, except faster coming down the hill.

I decided long ago to choose a commute I could relate to, and the work followed.

cheers, bob

No you don't.

wave.gif

Wait...maybe you do...

But you shouldn't. See, there's this dog that always barks at me and it's one of those annoying little yippy dogs and I have this killer view when the sun rises over the Cascade range and there are hundreds of ravens all flying in the same direction (NE), wave after wave of them and I can never seem to get though all of The Thrill Is Gone (live 1969 version), no matter how slow I walk and...

When I'm one of those really old guys from whom people ask sage advice or the secret to my longevity or something, it's going to be "Live close to where you work or work close to where you live."

Of course, we don't hate you. We are just jealous. moon.gif

Converse to the original question, I wonder how many people stay on at sucky jobs, or live in too-expensive or bad neighborhoods in order to avoid bad commutes?

Commuting is the stupidiest thing around. Why would you want to spend several hours each day going back and forth in a line? I've never had a job where I can't get to work or home via a bicycle or running, and I never will. What a waste of time and resources.

Commuting is the stupidiest thing around. Why would you want to spend several hours each day going back and forth in a line? I've never had a job where I can't get to work or home via a bicycle or running, and I never will. What a waste of time and resources.

So, how often do they want frys with their order?

Luna,

this is a rare occasion where CBS was brief and correct. i flat out don't want to live in a city therefore because of my career, i'm never going to live closer than 45minutes commute to my job. then again, i live close enough to my playground that i can out and climb/ski/hike/ride just about any single day w/o a major hassle.

thumbs_up.gif I agree with the sentiment anyway.

But if someone offered me a big raise and it required a commute, I'd have to consider it and it's not so easy to just move close to your work once you have a house/family/roots/etc.

I tacked about five miles onto my commute to save $ 200K on a house. I think that was a good tradeoff considering it meant the difference between buying a house and not.

Basic economics is why most people commute. Unless you've existing equity or an executive salary, or desire menial service work you will have to commute.

I once worked in Portland while my main residence was in Bothell which involved 3 1/2 hrs drive each way at least once a week (on Monday mornings & Friday nights plus). This was so suck that after a year I had to argue with my boss that I be layed off which, unbelievably, took awhile to happen. It sort of took the pressure of the job off though and I recommend it, but wait until Spring.

My longest commute was taking a bus from the Richmond Dist to downtown in SF. Less than 4 miles distance and anywhere between 45 minutes and 1.25 hours. I moved across the Golden Gate Bridge to Mill Valley and the 16 miles (and waiting in line to pay the toll) took only 45 minutes reliably. Once they insititued the prepay electronic toll lanes the commute was 30 minutes.

Now I commute 15 mintues form home to work here in Seattle. smile.gif

I'm a geomorphologist with an M.S. wiseguy and will make $80k this year. The time and cost of commuting just makes no sense to me, plus the environmental cost. And yes I have a family and a house. If I lost my current job for whatever reason and couldn't find something close I'd go independent. rockband.gif